- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Jun 2022
Articles by the Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA)
The Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA) is the UK’s leading trade association that represents and supports the interests of businesses and organisations involved in electrotechnical and engineering services design, installation, inspection, testing, maintenance and monitoring across the UK (excluding Scotland). Since 1901
ECA is a founder member of Actuate UK, a collective of eight leading trade, technology, research, and professional bodies in engineering services that deliver a single, consolidated voice for the sector.
- The future of construction interview with ECA CEO. June 2022.
- Cleaning up air quality and the Environment Act 2021. June 2022.
- The Building Safety Act and standard training for electrical contractors. June 2022
- Net-zero opportunities for electrotechnical contractors. May 2022
- Queens speech 2022 (ECA press release within article). May 2022
- Local Elections 2022: ECA calls for better local EV charge point policy. May 2022.
- ECA calls for stronger competency requirements in Building Safety Act. May 2022
- Construction leadership council professional indemnity insurance survey 2022. April 2022
- ECA Project 18 Amendment 2 Roadshow. April 2022
- PPE regulations 2022. April 2022
- ECA joins calls for unprecedented action on energy prices in Spring Budget. March 2022
- Achieving efficiency through systems and integration. March 2022
- The Building Safety Bill, regulations and competence. March 2022.
- Court of appeal ruling on holiday pay and employment status. February 2022.
- CO2nstruct Zero programme grows to over 70 businesses. February 2022.
- ECA calls on Government to reform and rebalance energy levies and avoid cost of living crisis. February 2022.
- CONIAC produces essential messages on safe work at height. January 2022.
- IET announces release of 18th Edition Amendment 2. January 2022.
- Industry work placement. January 2022.
- Electrotechnical Assessment Specification guidance for installers. January 2022.
- ECA and UKPN launch EV guide. January 2022.
- Energy price crisis: ECA calls for energy levy reform. January 2022.
- Reflections on 2021. December 2021.
- 2021 Building Engineering Business Survey. December 2021.
- Prompt Payment Code boosted to help SMEs. December 2021.
- ECA warns lack of EV strategy could leave UK divided. November 2021.
- Two thirds of local authorities have no plans to install EV chargers. November 2021.
- Leading electrotechnical businesses win top industry awards. November 2021.
- ECA backs Government plans for low-carbon heat. October 2021.
- Electrotechnical industry gears up for All-IP switch. October 2021.
- Construction leadership for mental health. September 2021.
- Post-Grenfell product code combats misleading marketing. September 2021.
- Actuate UK issues climate warning and urges action. September 2021.
- Industry must add 12,000 people a year to meet net zero 2050 targets. September 2021.
- Order books fill but skills shortages worry contractors. September 2021.
- Home thoughts from abroad: skills development. September 2021.
- Deadline for CE marked products extended to 1 January 2023. August 2021.
- Digital building dashboard tech on the horizon. August 2021.
- ECA responds to the UK hydrogen strategy. August 2021.
- Home thoughts from abroad: Immigration. August 2021.
- A level results day 2021: Students consider jobs of the future after the pandemic. August 2021.
- Flexible working in engineering services. July 2021.
- Careful planning required during cable management materials shortages. July 2021.
- CLC publishes Construct Zero Performance Framework. July 2021.
- Green Homes Grant vouchers extended. July 2021.
- ECA calls for urgent energy price reform. June 2021.
- Is social media the new way to plug the gender skills gap? June 2021.
- Economic upturn masks mental health crisis in 2021. June 2021.
- Net zero by 2050. June 2021.
- Converting commercial offices to residential accommodation. June 2021.
- CLC Maintaining Employment in Construction report published. May 2021.
- Q2 2021 trends indicate higher costs, lower employment. May 2021.
- Materials shortage prompts extra planning. May 2021.
- What to know about foundation earthing. May 2021.
- ECA welcomes the Value Toolkit for the construction industry. May 2021.
- Opportunities for EV charging. April 2021.
- TESP calls for industry mentors. April 2021.
- Workplace noise exposure estimator. April 2021.
- 2021 PRS electrical safety standards. April 2021.
- Pre-qualification standard 2021. March 2021.
- Right to Repair law. March 2021.
- Cash incentives for employers to hire new apprentices doubled. March 2021.
- Prompt Payment Code: the story behind the headlines. February 2021.
- Skilled workforce unable to meet net zero ambitions. January 2021.
- COVID-19 and mental health within construction firms. January 2021.
- Eight organisations form engineering services alliance. January 2021.
- CLC document on claims and disputes in construction. January 2021.
- Shortages of cable management products. December 2020.
- Energy White Paper presents Government plans to build back greener. December 2020.
- Getting zero carbon done. November 2020.
- CICV creates COVID toolkit. November 2020.
- Modular housing and electrical circuitry. November 2020
- Winter Support 2020 - 2021 packages for businesses. October 2020.
- CLC releases Site Operating Procedures v6. October 2020.
- What’s the best way into the industry? October 2020.
- Half of public sector bodies not planning for net zero carbon. September 2020.
- ECA Survey: Industry remains optimistic despite downturn. September 2020.
- Competition and the independent electric wholesalers. September 2020.
- ECA calls for petrol and diesel ban by 2030. August 2020.
- ECA apprentice secondment service. August 2020
- Face coverings and a shifting policy background. August 2020.
- Microgeneration Certification Scheme 2020. July 2020.
- Skills for Climate consultation launched. July 2020.
- Payments for recruiting new apprentices. July 2020.
- UK Points-Based Immigration System 2020. July 2020.
- Engineering services and industry recovery guide. July 2020.
- Organisations prompt government to Build Back Green. June 2020.
- Celebrating women in engineering. June 2020.
- Electrical safety in the private rented sector. June 2020.
- Plan proposes to reinvent construction industry. June 2020.
- Survey records business projections after coronavirus storm. May 2020.
- The future of the coronavirus furlough. May 2020.
- New domestic electrical work video. May 2020.
- IR35: essential steps for compliance. May 2020.
- Engineering services bodies issue coronavirus site safety guides. May 2020
- Officials pledge to continue housebuilding work. Apr 2020
- Coronavirus job retention scheme. Mar 2020
- Coronavirus impact survey. Mar 2020
- Government procurement post-Carillion. Mar 2020
- 37% of SMEs suffer mental health problems due to pay issues. Mar 2020
- Carbon emissions of electric heating v gas. Mar 2020
- Coronavirus and force majeure. Feb 2020
- ECA backs joint rail electrification statement. Feb 2020
- Electrotechnical Assessment Specification. Feb 2020
- Building an electrical grid for our times. Feb 2020
- Achieving zero carbon. Jan 2020
- Ancona eco-mansion. Jan 2020
- The real impact of late payment. Jan 2020
- SF6 - the greenhouse gas at the heart of our industry. Jan 2020
- Opening the door to apprenticeships for all. Jan 2020
- Cutting VAT can unleash green housing revolution. Jan 2012
- How installer competence can help prevent major residential fires. Dec 2019
- Survey shows offsite construction is safer, faster, greener and cheaper. Dec 2019
- Business owners forced to stop paying employees due to late payment. Nov 2019
- Qualifying as a professional electrician. Nov 2019
- Disturbing complacency over short courses. Nov 2019
- Low-voltage switchgear and protective devices. Nov 2019
- New standards for better fire safety in homes. Nov 2019
- Data cables and the CPR. Nov 2019
- Zero Carbon by 2050 - pipe dream or possibility? Oct 2019
- The SME's updated guide to Brexit. Oct 2019
- PowerLottery helps give electrical industry colleagues a better tomorrow. Sep 2019
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations. Aug 2019
- Vulnerable residents at risk from under-qualified workforce. Aug 2109
- Careers in the electrotechnical industry. Aug 2019
- Employee assistance programme EAP. Aug 2019
- Levelling the playing field. Aug 2019
- Industry backs leading fire and security awards.Aug 2019
- Changing lives with the Practical Participation Programme. Aug 2019
- Electrical system. Jul 2019
- Electrical wiring. Jul 2019
- Electrical definition. Jul 2019
- Electricity bill. Jul 2019
- Progress on poor payment practices. Jul 2019
- Higher penalties for employers breaching workers' rights. Jul 2019
- VAT hike puts brakes on home solar and batteries. Jul 2019
- Electrical safety. Jun 2019
- Electrical power. Jun 2019
- Electrical installation. Jun 2019
- Electrical equipment. Jun 2019
- Electrical energy. Jun 2019
- Electrical consumption. Jun 2019
- Electrical component. Jun 2019
- The real deal - at last? Jun 2019
- A zero-carbon UK by 2050? Jun 2019
- CAS answers an expensive problem for industry. Jun 2019
- Consumer unit. Jun 2019
- Electrical appliance. Jun 2019
- Electric motor. Jun 20019
- Electric lock. Jun 2019
- Consumer electronics. Jun 2019
- How the Electrical Industries Charity helps tackle domestic abuse. May 2019
- Formula E drives electric vehicle market forward. May 2019
- ECA 2018 Apprentice of the Year. May 2019.
- EIC apprentice support programme. Apr 2019
- Employment status: a concise guide. Apr 2019
- Smart meter owners report higher, not lower, bills. Apr 2019
- Good Work Plan promises clearer contracts, fairer rules. Mar 2019
- Campaign for cash retentions reform. Mar 2019
- The commercial implications of Brexit. Mar 2019
- The UK's low-carbon future is increasingly electric. Mar 2019
- Work at height checklist for managers. Mar 2019
- Maintaining standards through Brexit and beyond. Feb 2019
Featured articles and news
A brief description of time in the sun.
Given by ICE President Ed McCann.
Two new research reports published by APM.
50% off APM Associate membership for Designing Buildings users.
A commentary from the insurance perspective.
In brief with further links.
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !