- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Oct 2021
Electrotechnical industry gears up for All-IP switch
Leading electrotechnical services trade body ECA stepped up advice to its members and the wider industry as they prepare for the switch to All-IP (Internet Protocol) networks. The UK switch started in the summer of 2021 and completion is set for 2025. The switchover presents an abundance of commercial opportunities.
ECA Technical Manager Shahid Khan said, “To retire the entire UK analogue network by the 2025 deadline, an average of 50,000 analogue lines will need to be upgraded to digital every week. This presents a huge opportunity for structured data cabling professionals to get involved in this space.”
Mark Taylor, ECHO General Manager, commented, “The migration to digital All-IP is a global step change. At ECHO, we would underline the importance for all monitored alarm systems, including police response alarms being adapted as needs be to ensure future-proof alarm signalling in the All-IP world. Adapting to All-IP is essential for the benefits of alarm monitoring and in the case of police response alarms being ECHO-connected.”
- Larger businesses will be able to consolidate multiple sites onto a single platform, reducing operational costs and requiring less equipment and maintenance (simpler network structure).
- Improved telephony via laptop/PC, and general improvements in functionality e.g., voicemail to email, call recording, instant messaging, call management and diary integration.
This article originally appeared on the ECA website. It was published on 11 October 2021.
- All-Internet Protocol.
- Articles by the Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA).
- Digital communications and infrastructure dependencies.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Fibre optic cable.
- Intelligent building management systems IBMS.
- Intelligent multi-sensor alarm.
- Internet of things.
- Roll-out of full fibre broadband in the UK.
- Smart building management systems.
Featured articles and news
Given by ICE President Ed McCann.
Two new research reports published by APM.
50% off APM Associate membership for Designing Buildings users.
A commentary from the insurance perspective.
In brief with further links.
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC