In the construction industry, the term ‘services’ might refer to:
- The undertaking by a supplier of activities such as; consultation, design, maintenance, installation, banking, insurance, the provision of accommodation and so on. Services are intangible, and do not involve a transfer of possession or ownership. Services are distinguished from products and materials, which are tangible items, used in, or incorporated into construction works, such as doors or concrete. However, services may be provided alongside the provision of products or materials. Click here for a list of articles on Designing Buildings Wiki about construction industry services.
- Systems installed in buildings to make them comfortable, functional, efficient and safe. See building services for more information.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles about products and services.
- Building activities definition.
- Building component.
- Building element.
- Building entities.
- Building products.
- Building services.
- Building system.
- Construction materials
- Construction works.
- Contractor vs supplier.
- Products v goods v materials.
- Subcontractor vs supplier.
- Supply chain management.
- Supply chain.
Featured articles and news
Demographics, digital tech, climate change, AI - all challenges facing the built environment. Enter our ideas competition.
Lessons from Australia on how to make affordable, sustainable housing a reality.
Adjaye Associates reveal their designs for a new espionage museum in New York.
CIAT submit their recommendations to the government's Grenfell Tower inquiry. See the summary here.
Read our introductory article on collaborative practices for building design and construction.
Read about the history behind one of Italy's most recognisible buildings.
Roland Busch of Siemens AG looks at how cities can fight climate change.
Every home and small business in Great Britain will be offered a smart meter by the end of 2020.
The PM’s speech stole the headlines but what was said about infrastructure at the Conservative Party conference?
We interviewed the photographer Jade Doskow about her new book documenting the strange architecture of World's Fair sites.
Industry leaders join CIOB and Stronger Together to tackle modern slavery in construction.
Drawing on the recent Mexico earthquake, a collection of free journal articles has been assembled.