- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Sep 2020
|Materials include manufactured products such as components, fittings, items of equipment and systems; naturally occurring materials such as stone, timber and thatch; and backfilling for excavations in connection with building work.|
Narrower definitions of materials such as 'physical substances that things can be made from' would seem to exclude manufactured products such as components, fittings, items of equipment and systems. For example, steel is a material, whereas a steel beam is a product.
Some of the more commonly used construction materials that might be considered to fall within this narrower definition are listed below. For a wider list, including products and components see: Products and components.
- Alkali-activated binder
- Architectural fabrics
- Bulk filling materials
- Carbon fibre
- Cast iron
- Cavity wall insulation
- Coal ash
- Concrete fibre
- Fibre cement
- Glass for buildings
- Glass reinforced concrete
- Glass reinforced plastic GRP
- Graphene in civil engineering
- Gravel v hardcore v aggregates.
- Grouting in civil engineering.
- High alumina cement
- Icynene spray foam insulation
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL
- Lead in construction
- Mastic sealant
- Oil - a global perspective
- Paints and coatings
- Phase change materials
- Phenolic foam insulation
- Polyamide intermediates
- Polyurethane spray foam in structurally insulated panels and composite structures
- Polyvinyl chloride PVC
- Precast concrete
- Prestressed concrete
- Products v goods v materials.
- R22 phase out
- Recyclable construction materials
- Refrigerants in buildings
- Reinforced concrete
- Renewable chemicals
- Solid wall insulation
- Stainless steel in construction
- Straw bale construction
- Structural steelwork
- Sundry items.
- Sustainable materials
- Thermoplastic materials in buildings
- Topmix Permeable
- Tradical Hemcrete
- Transparent insulation
- Types of steel
- Wattle and daub
- Wrought iron
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Approved document 7.
- BREEAM Material efficiency.
- Building Regulations.
- Cement and concrete companies release 2050 Climate Ambition.
- Construction buyer.
- Conversion of material volumes.
- Off-site goods and materials.
- Material handling.
- Materials on site.
- Performance gap.
- Project information material.
- Quality control.
- Schedule of defects.
- Testing construction materials.
- Truth to materials.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Organisation revises actions around dealing with COVID-19.
CIOB, NFCC, RIBA, RICS call for changes ahead of Building Safety Bill.
Developments in the Future Homes Standard.
An American chimney feature with a colourful past.
Homes based on need, not ability to pay.
Historic England adds 216 entries to the 'at risk' register.
Will cycling and walking provisions be preserved?
Assembly point levels range from relative to ultimate.
Signs are pointing to a recovery for the construction industry.
Campaigning to change perceptions about American Brutalism.
Sprinkler head configurations can prioritise people or property.
Report from The Carbon Project reveals shortcomings and recommendations.
Advice on how to join the electrotechnical profession.