- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Nov 2018
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
Early forms of steel have existed since around 1800 BC, and it has subsequently be used through history by the Greeks, Romans, Indians and Chinese. However, British engineer, Sir Henry Bessemer was the first to develop a cost-efficient method for producing steel, and it was first mass produced for the manufacture of railway tracks.
The site contains more than 100 articles written by experts on subjects including:
- Cost planning.
- Life cycle assessment.
- Steel infographic.
- Fire engineering.
- Links to more detailed resources.
- Floor vibrations.
- Health and safety.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Compound steel sections
- Concrete vs. steel.
- Concrete-steel composite structures
- Installing fire protection to structural steelwork (GG 85).
- Metal fabrication.
- Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6 12).
- Procuring steel in major projects
- Qualities Needed for Stainless Steel Suppliers.
- Stainless steel
- Steel and Concrete – Frank Lloyd Wright and 3 of his Iconic Buildings
- Steel construction floor vibration
- Steel Council
- Steel frame.
- Steel reinforcement
- Steel-concrete composite structures
- Structural steel
- The use of stainless steel in civil engineering
- Weathering steel
Featured articles and news
One of the Isle of Man’s best 1960s buildings.
Using renewable energy in developing countries - QSAND and Loughborough University Research collaboration.
From frost damage to sulphate attack, common causes of defects in brickwork.
Precautions to take when making advance payments.
Helping communities recover from disasters and protecting them before they occur.
Instrumentation for critical healthcare environments.
Case study in the use of soft landings at the University of the West of England.
Richard Rogers wins is the AIA’s highest annual honour.
A quick introduction to a healthier and more sustainable form of construction.
The structural feasibility of modular high-rise buildings.
BRE conference on ways of providing and maintaining quality indoor environments.
CDBB publish foundational definitions and values to guide the development of the National Digital Twin.