- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jan 2018
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
Early forms of steel have existed since around 1800 BC, and it has subsequently be used through history by the Greeks, Romans, Indians and Chinese. However, British engineer, Sir Henry Bessemer was the first to develop a cost-efficient method for producing steel, and it was first mass produced for the manufacture of railway tracks.
The site contains more than 100 articles written by experts on subjects including:
- Cost planning.
- Life cycle assessment.
- Steel infographic.
- Fire engineering.
- Links to more detailed resources.
- Floor vibrations.
- Health and safety.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Compound steel sections
- Concrete vs. steel.
- Concrete-steel composite structures
- Installing fire protection to structural steelwork (GG 85).
- Metal fabrication.
- Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6 12).
- Procuring steel in major projects
- Qualities Needed for Stainless Steel Suppliers.
- Stainless steel
- Steel and Concrete – Frank Lloyd Wright and 3 of his Iconic Buildings
- Steel construction floor vibration
- Steel Council
- Steel frame.
- Steel reinforcement
- Steel-concrete composite structures
- Structural steel
- The use of stainless steel in civil engineering
- Weathering steel
Featured articles and news
The rich archaeology of the Isle of Man is an important part of its cultural heritage.
BSRIA call on the industry to attract more women.
The construction methods have changed a lot since the first roads were built around 4,000 BC.
How to deliver a five-fold multiplier effect from investment in water infrastructure.
RSHP's Leadenhall building is named a 2018 RIBA National Award winner.
Gary Neville's controversial Manchester tower gets the green light to go ahead.
Health and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
BSRIA guide to energy storage in buildings - a technology overview.
The UK’s largest Passivhaus accredited affordable housing scheme.
ICE set out 5 recommendations for the Government Construction Strategy 2018 update.
Balfour Beatty fined £500,000 for exposing workers to hand-arm vibration.