- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Jun 2019
Early forms of steel have existed since around 1800 BC, and it has subsequently be used through history by the Greeks, Romans, Indians and Chinese. However, British engineer, Sir Henry Bessemer was the first to develop a cost-efficient method for producing steel, and it was first mass produced for the manufacture of railway tracks.
The site contains more than 100 articles written by experts on subjects including:
- Cost planning.
- Life cycle assessment.
- Steel infographic.
- Fire engineering.
- Links to more detailed resources.
- Floor vibrations.
- Health and safety.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cast iron.
- Compound steel sections
- Concrete vs. steel.
- Concrete-steel composite structures
- Galvanised steel.
- Installing fire protection to structural steelwork (GG 85).
- Metal fabrication.
- Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6 12).
- Procuring steel in major projects
- Qualities Needed for Stainless Steel Suppliers.
- Stainless steel
- Steel and Concrete – Frank Lloyd Wright and 3 of his Iconic Buildings
- Steel construction floor vibration
- Steel Council
- Steel frame.
- Steel reinforcement
- Steel-concrete composite structures
- Structural steel
- The use of stainless steel in civil engineering
- Types of steel.
- Weathering steel.
Featured articles and news
Architectural Technology Studio 3
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.