- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Sep 2020
Early forms of steel have existed since around 1800 BC, and it has subsequently be used through history by the Greeks, Romans, Indians and Chinese. However, British engineer, Sir Henry Bessemer was the first to develop a cost-efficient method for producing steel, and it was first mass produced for the manufacture of railway tracks.
The site contains more than 100 articles written by experts on subjects including:
- Cost planning.
- Life cycle assessment.
- Steel infographic.
- Fire engineering.
- Links to more detailed resources.
- Floor vibrations.
- Health and safety.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cast iron.
- Compound steel sections
- Concrete vs. steel.
- Concrete-steel composite structures
- Galvanised steel.
- Installing fire protection to structural steelwork (GG 85).
- Metal fabrication.
- Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6 12).
- Procuring steel in major projects
- Qualities Needed for Stainless Steel Suppliers.
- Stainless steel
- Steel and Concrete – Frank Lloyd Wright and 3 of his Iconic Buildings
- Steel construction floor vibration
- Steel Council
- Steel frame.
- Steel reinforcement
- Steel-concrete composite structures
- Structural steel
- The use of stainless steel in civil engineering
- Types of steel.
- Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- Weathering steel.
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.