- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 Jan 2022
Early forms of steel have existed since around 1800 BC, and it has subsequently be used through history by the Greeks, Romans, Indians and Chinese. However, British engineer, Sir Henry Bessemer was the first to develop a cost-efficient method for producing steel, and it was first mass produced for the manufacture of railway tracks.
The site contains more than 100 articles written by experts on subjects including:
- Cost planning.
- Life cycle assessment.
- Steel infographic.
- Fire engineering.
- Links to more detailed resources.
- Floor vibrations.
- Health and safety.
- Cast iron.
- Compound steel sections
- Concrete vs. steel.
- Concrete-steel composite structures
- Galvanised steel.
- Installing fire protection to structural steelwork (GG 85).
- Metal fabrication.
- Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6 12).
- Procuring steel in major projects
- Specifying steel lintels.
- Stainless steel.
- Steel and Concrete – Frank Lloyd Wright and 3 of his Iconic Buildings.
- Steel construction floor vibration.
- Steel Council.
- Steel frame.
- Steel framed rooflights.
- Steel reinforcement.
- Steel-concrete composite structures.
- Structural steel.
- The use of stainless steel in civil engineering.
- Types of metal.
- Types of steel.
- Weathering steel.
- What is causing the rise in steel prices?
Featured articles and news
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?