- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jan 2018
Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6 12)
Passive and reactive fire protection to structural steel (IP 6/12) was written by Tom Lennon and Danny Hopkin and published by BRE on 19 January 2012.
Traditional fire-protection materials such as insulating boards, spray protection materials, flexible blankets and concrete encasements are passive in that, upon application, they inherently possess the required insulation. Reactive systems are those whose insulating properties are developed during a fire. Intumescent coatings are the most common example of reactive systems.
- The types of product available.
- The advantages and disadvantages of different types of product in relation to the construction process, technical performance in tests and performance in real fires.
- The importance of third-party certification schemes for manufacturers and installers.
It is intended for use by those responsible for specifying fire protection, main contractors, building control authorities and installers, and provides information on the options available for designers, ranging from the use of unprotected steelwork to the selection of products for extreme events such as hydrocarbon fire exposure.
Its contents are:
- Unprotected steel structures.
- Partially encased steel sections.
- Protected steel sections.
- Application and third-party certification schemes.
- Fire testing and assessment.
- Performance in real fires.
- Sources of further information.
- Further reading
 Find out more.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The built environment can unlock opportunities for skills.
Additionality is a concept applied to activities and projects.
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.