- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Sep 2019
The word ‘insulate’ means to protect something by interposing a material between it and other elements that prevents transmission between them. The word ‘insulation’ refers to the material that is interposed.
Insulation may be used in the construction industry for a number of different purposes:
- Thermal insulation to prevent the transmission of heat, typically between the inside and outside of a building. For more information see: Thermal insulation.
- Acoustic insulation to prevent the transmission of sound, for example between a recording studio and a performance space. For more information see: Acoustic insulation.
- Fire insulation to prevent the passage of fire between spaces or components.
- Electrical insulation to contain and separate electrical conductors.
There are a number of articles on Designing Buildings Wiki about insulation:
- Acoustic insulation
- Acoustic insulation market
- Advice for External Wall Insulation (EWI) systems with a render or brick-slip finish
- Aerogel insulation for buildings
- BR 135 Fire Performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multi-storey buildings
- BREEAM Insulation
- Cavity wall insulation
- Celotex RS5000 PIR insulation
- Designing out unintended consequences when applying solid wall insulation FB 79
- Domestic floors: Part 1: Construction, insulation and damp proofing
- External wall insulation
- Floor insulation
- Icynene spray foam insulation
- Insulation for ground floors
- Loft insulation ruling
- PA ratio for insulation
- Phenolic foam insulation
- Reducing thermal bridging at junctions when designing and installing solid wall insulation FB 61
- Roof insulation
- Solid wall insulation
- Solid Wall Insulation: Unlocking demand and driving up standards
- Sound insulation in buildings
- Sound insulation in dwellings Part 2: New-build (GG 83-2)
- Sound insulation in dwellings: Part 1: An introduction (GG 83-1)
- Sound insulation in dwellings: Part 3: Material change of use (conversions) (GG 83-3)
- Specifying insulation for inverted roofs
- Ten facts about Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) insulation to help specifiers
- Thermal insulation for buildings
- Transparent insulation
- Types of insulation
- Understanding Insulation and the Part It Plays in Building Regulations
- Wall insulation and moisture risk
- Wood and insulation
Featured articles and news
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?