- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Aug 2020
Phenolic foam insulation
This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
- It has over 90% closed cell formation, giving it good stability.
- Phenolic foams come in varying densities in the range of 35 kg/m³ to 200 kg/m³. High density varieties such as insulation boards have good strength and are suitable for floor insulation.
- It has low thermal conductivity. The thermal conductivity of phenolic closed cell insulation material is generally between 0.018 W/m.K and 0.023 W/m.K.
- It has fire retardant properties and a low smoke level (even under pyrolysis).
- It is water resistant.
- It is lightweight and so is easy to transport and install.
- Closed cell phenolic insulation foam can resist almost all inorganic acidic erosion, organic solvents and acids. However, it under-performs in alkaline environments.
- When exposed to sunlight for long periods it does not show any noticeable ageing.
- Insulation boards show good sound absorption properties.
The most common blowing agent used in phenolic foam insulation is ‘Pentane’. This is used to comply with EC regulation, because it is CFC and HCFC free, has no ozone depletion potential and low global warming potential. Pentane is a hydrocarbon. In order to prevent the blowing agent escaping and being replaced by air, the insulation boards are covered with gas tight aluminium foil or glass tissue.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Aerogel insulation for buildings.
- Cavity wall insulation.
- Fire retardant.
- Heat transfer.
- Interstitial condensation.
- Phase change materials.
- Polyurethane spray foam in structurally insulated panels and composite structures.
- Solid wall insulation.
- Sound insulation.
- Thermal bridge.
- Thermal comfort.
- Transparent insulation.
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
How to write them and what they should include.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.