- Carpet laying.
- Ceramic tiles.
- Countertop lamination.
- Drywall lamination.
- Flooring underlay.
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning connections.
- Timber jointing.
- Manufactured housing.
- Pre-fabricated panels.
- Resilient flooring.
- Wall coverings.
The most common types of adhesive are as follows:
- PVA (polyvinyl acetate): A general purpose woodwork glue, with some water resistant properties.
- Synthetic resin: A strong water-resistant woodwork glue.
- Epoxy resin: Used for metals and plastics.
- Acrylic cement: Used for acrylic and some types of plastic. The adhesive ‘melts’ the surface of the plastic and fuses it together.
- Casein: Made from sour milk. A cold setting adhesive in the form of a powder which is mixed with water.
- Urea formaldehyde: A cold setting resin glue. Although moisture resistant, it is usually restricted to timber members used in dry, unexposed conditions as it loses strength after prolonged exposure to water or heat.
- Resorcinol formaldehyde: A cold setting glue that is suitable for timber members used in external situations. Will set at temperatures down to 15°C and does not lose strength at high temperatures.
- Phenol formaldehyde: A warm setting adhesive that requires a temperature of above around 86°C to set.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Deleterious materials in construction.
- Fire resistance.
- Hazardous substances.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Mastic sealant.
- Polymer discovery.
- Sustainable materials.
- Timber preservation.
- Volatile organic compounds.
 External references
- ‘Building Construction Handbook’ (6th ed.), CHUDLEY, R., GREENO, R., Butterworth-Heinemann (2007)
Featured articles and news
RIAS criticise the transfer of responsibility from construction professionals to other parties less involved with the design process.
Take a look at this new music/arts centre in Calgary, with subtle curves and a skybridge.
Building Automation and Control Systems (BACS) market in North America continues to grow.
Frank Lloyd Wright's last major project, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the Surface Design Show and spoke with 2 leading figures in natural stone and hotel design.
How can data from homes help plan smarter cities?
CIOB launch new toolkit to help tackle modern day slavery in construction.
Have a read of our introductory article on bored piles.
Have a look at this striking new 'H-shaped' office building in China.
Read about the pile foundation solutions BAUER have delivered for Battersea Power Station.
As it's Valentine's Day, read the story of this 'labour of love' castle built on Heart Island.
An introductory guide to the project team for building design and construction.