- Carpet laying.
- Ceramic tiles.
- Countertop lamination.
- Drywall lamination.
- Flooring underlay.
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning connections.
- Timber jointing.
- Manufactured housing.
- Pre-fabricated panels.
- Resilient flooring.
- Wall coverings.
The most common types of adhesive are as follows:
- PVA (polyvinyl acetate): A general purpose woodwork glue, with some water resistant properties.
- Synthetic resin: A strong water-resistant woodwork glue.
- Epoxy resin: Used for metals and plastics.
- Acrylic cement: Used for acrylic and some types of plastic. The adhesive ‘melts’ the surface of the plastic and fuses it together.
- Casein: Made from sour milk. A cold setting adhesive in the form of a powder which is mixed with water.
- Urea formaldehyde: A cold setting resin glue. Although moisture resistant, it is usually restricted to timber members used in dry, unexposed conditions as it loses strength after prolonged exposure to water or heat.
- Resorcinol formaldehyde: A cold setting glue that is suitable for timber members used in external situations. Will set at temperatures down to 15°C and does not lose strength at high temperatures.
- Phenol formaldehyde: A warm setting adhesive that requires a temperature of above around 86°C to set.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Construction adhesives market.
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Deleterious materials in construction.
- Fire resistance.
- Hazardous substances.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Mastic sealant.
- Polymer discovery.
- Resin flooring.
- Structural adhesives.
- Sustainable materials.
- Timber preservation.
- Volatile organic compounds.
 External references
- ‘Building Construction Handbook’ (6th ed.), CHUDLEY, R., GREENO, R., Butterworth-Heinemann (2007)
Featured articles and news
CEOs and high-level executives explain who they expect to be the most successful players in the future of construction.
What are package contracts and how are they broken down? Find out in our introductory article.
Identifying sustainable shoreline protection solutions in the face of rising sea levels and storms in the US.
Budget documents state modern methods of construction will be favoured for public infrastructure schemes from 2019.
A walk-through exhibition of an emergency humanitarian shelter is officially opened at BRE's Innovation Park.
How to work safely on a construction site during winter.
Housing is the big winner in Chancellor Philip Hammond's Autumn Budget.
The winner of our BSRIA competition, Tomorrow's challenges in today's buildings, is.... Bob Hendrikx. A big thank you to everyone that took part.
Committee of MPs accuses government of dealing billpayers a 'bad hand' over the guaranteed power price.
In 1992, the Joint Fire Code was first published. What influence does it still have on construction sites today?
"Companies will have to adapt or go out of business" - how are virtual reality and big data disrupting digital construction?
International Well Building Institute and BRE collaborate on multiple levels to advance human health through better buildings.
"The industry has tried moving away from prescriptivism to focus on performance, but maybe that’s no longer working".