- Carpet laying.
- Ceramic tiles.
- Countertop lamination.
- Drywall lamination.
- Flooring underlay.
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning connections.
- Timber jointing.
- Manufactured housing.
- Pre-fabricated panels.
- Resilient flooring.
- Wall coverings.
The most common types of adhesive are as follows:
- PVA (polyvinyl acetate): A general purpose woodwork glue, with some water resistant properties.
- Synthetic resin: A strong water-resistant woodwork glue.
- Epoxy resin: Used for metals and plastics.
- Acrylic cement: Used for acrylic and some types of plastic. The adhesive ‘melts’ the surface of the plastic and fuses it together.
- Casein: Made from sour milk. A cold setting adhesive in the form of a powder which is mixed with water.
- Urea formaldehyde: A cold setting resin glue. Although moisture resistant, it is usually restricted to timber members used in dry, unexposed conditions as it loses strength after prolonged exposure to water or heat.
- Resorcinol formaldehyde: A cold setting glue that is suitable for timber members used in external situations. Will set at temperatures down to 15°C and does not lose strength at high temperatures.
- Phenol formaldehyde: A warm setting adhesive that requires a temperature of above around 86°C to set.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Deleterious materials in construction.
- Fire resistance.
- Hazardous substances.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Mastic sealant.
- Sustainable materials.
- Timber preservation.
- Volatile organic compounds.
 External references
- ‘Building Construction Handbook’ (6th ed.), CHUDLEY, R., GREENO, R., Butterworth-Heinemann (2007)
Featured articles and news
A new concept unveiled to tackle the lack of sports facilities in inner cities.
'Open hand' designs revealed for a new entertainment complex in China.
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.