- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Aug 2018
The building regulations 2010 define 'building work' as:
- The erection or extension of a building.
- The provision or extension of a controlled service or fitting in or in connection with a building.
- The material alteration of a building, or a controlled service or fitting, as mentioned in paragraph.
- Work required by regulation 6 (requirements relating to material change of use).
- The insertion of insulating material into the cavity wall of a building.
- Work involving the underpinning of a building.
- Work required by regulation 22 (requirements relating to a change of energy status).
- Work required by regulation 23 (requirements relating to thermal elements).
- Work required by regulation 28 (consequential improvements to energy performance).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Emerging cost contracts
Connecting infrastructure with housing.
All about E-procurement
Winners and finalists in CIAT's architectural technology awards.
Their survival against the odds is a remarkable feature of the City’s history.
Immersed, charmed and inspired on conservation’s front line.
About JCT...and the rest
The Centre Building, London School of Economics
Architecture course essentials
Enhancing employee health and wellbeing