- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Dec 2018
Approved document 7
The building regulations establish standards to be achieved in the construction of buildings. Approved documents provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common situations.
- With adequate and proper materials which:
- Are appropriate for the circumstances in which they are used,
- Are adequately mixed or prepared, and
- Are applied, used or fixed so as adequately to perform the functions for which they are designed; and
- In a workmanlike manner.
The approved document's contents include:
- Continuing control.
- Interaction with other legislation.
- Ways of establishing the fitness of materials.
- Short-lived materials.
- Materials susceptible to changes in their properties.
- Ways of establishing the adequacy of workmanship.
Following the Grenfell Tower Fire, a decision was taken to ban combustible materials in the cladding for buildings over 18m in height. The following change to approved document 7 came into force on 21 December 2018.
|The Building Regulations restrict the use of combustible materials in the external walls of certain buildings over 18m in height. Refer to regulation 7(2) of the Building Regulations and to Approved Document B: volume 2, part B4 for details.|
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
One of the Isle of Man’s best 1960s buildings.
Using renewable energy in developing countries - QSAND and Loughborough University Research collaboration.
From frost damage to sulphate attack, common causes of defects in brickwork.
Precautions to take when making advance payments.
Helping communities recover from disasters and protecting them before they occur.
Instrumentation for critical healthcare environments.
Case study in the use of soft landings at the University of the West of England.
Richard Rogers wins is the AIA’s highest annual honour.
A quick introduction to a healthier and more sustainable form of construction.
The structural feasibility of modular high-rise buildings.
BRE conference on ways of providing and maintaining quality indoor environments.
CDBB publish foundational definitions and values to guide the development of the National Digital Twin.