- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jun 2017
Approved document 7
The building regulations establish standards to be achieved in the construction of buildings. Approved documents provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common situations.
The latest edition, updated to reflect changes in the Construction Products Regulations, was published on 3 January 2013 and came into force on 1 July 2013. It applies to building works in England.
Regulation 7 requires that building work is carried out:
- With adequate and proper materials which:
- Are appropriate for the circumstances in which they are used,
- Are adequately mixed or prepared, and
- Are applied, used or fixed so as adequately to perform the functions for which they are designed; and
- In a workmanlike manner.
The approved document's contents include:
- Continuing control.
- Interaction with other legislation.
- Regulation 7 of the Building Regulations.
- Performance and limitations.
- Section 1: Materials.
- Ways of establishing the fitness of materials.
- Short-lived materials.
- Materials susceptible to changes in their properties.
- Section 2: Workmanship.
- Ways of establishing the adequacy of workmanship.
- Appendix 1: Key terms.
- Appendix BP Standards referred to.
- Appendix C: Documents referred to.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
New report provides 12 key actions which could close the structural talent gap in the construction industry.
These can be used to find out whether a proposed development is likely to be approved. Read more here.
Studying a built environment degree? Check out our helpful student resources section.
New BRE research paper explores how blockchain technology can benefit the built environment industry.
Timber is a natural carbon sink, but it must not end up in landfill at the end of its useful life.
BSRIA has collaborated with the Department of Health on research into air permeability in isolation rooms.
New step-by-step route maps for implementing effective surface water management measures are published.
GMP is an agreement with a contractor that the contract sum will not exceed a specified maximum. Read more here.
The BREEAM Sustainability Champion is changing to the Advisory Professional - here's what you need to know.
A fresh round of job-cuts takes the total number of redundancies to over 1,000.