- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Dec 2018
Approved document 7
The building regulations establish standards to be achieved in the construction of buildings. Approved documents provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common situations.
- With adequate and proper materials which:
- Are appropriate for the circumstances in which they are used,
- Are adequately mixed or prepared, and
- Are applied, used or fixed so as adequately to perform the functions for which they are designed; and
- In a workmanlike manner.
The approved document's contents include:
- Continuing control.
- Interaction with other legislation.
- Ways of establishing the fitness of materials.
- Short-lived materials.
- Materials susceptible to changes in their properties.
- Ways of establishing the adequacy of workmanship.
Following the Grenfell Tower Fire, a decision was taken to ban combustible materials in the cladding for buildings over 18m in height. The following change to approved document 7 came into force on 21 December 2018.
|The Building Regulations restrict the use of combustible materials in the external walls of certain buildings over 18m in height. Refer to regulation 7(2) of the Building Regulations and to Approved Document B: volume 2, part B4 for details.|
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Securing suitable water systems.
Love them or hate them, they are popping up everywhere.
The initiative to enhance the environment continues.
Could underused community spaces offer an alternative to working from home?
Keeping workers and workplaces safe in the United States.
A history lesson in geographic information systems.
A low tech, easy to use method of extinguishing small fires.
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.