- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Nov 2020
Approved document C, Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture, suggests that a wall is: 'Any opaque part of the external envelope of a building that is at an angle of 70° or more to the horizontal.'
Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 2, Buildings other than dwellinghouses (2019 edition), suggests that the external wall of a building includes all of the following:
- Anything located within any space forming part of the wall.
- Any decoration or other finish applied to any external (but not internal) surface forming part of the wall.
- Any windows and doors in the wall.
- Any part of a roof pitched at an angle of more than 70 degrees to the horizontal if that part of the roof adjoins a space within the building to which persons have access, but not access only for the purpose of carrying out repairs or maintenance.
NB RICS property measurement, 2nd edition, published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in January 2018, defines an external wall as: ‘The external enclosure of a Building, which comprises the area between the Internal Dominant Face and the outside of a Building.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.