- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Nov 2020
Approved document C, Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture, suggests that a wall is: 'Any opaque part of the external envelope of a building that is at an angle of 70° or more to the horizontal.'
Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 2, Buildings other than dwellinghouses (2019 edition), suggests that the external wall of a building includes all of the following:
- Anything located within any space forming part of the wall.
- Any decoration or other finish applied to any external (but not internal) surface forming part of the wall.
- Any windows and doors in the wall.
- Any part of a roof pitched at an angle of more than 70 degrees to the horizontal if that part of the roof adjoins a space within the building to which persons have access, but not access only for the purpose of carrying out repairs or maintenance.
NB RICS property measurement, 2nd edition, published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in January 2018, defines an external wall as: ‘The external enclosure of a Building, which comprises the area between the Internal Dominant Face and the outside of a Building.’
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.
These tactical structures can be permanent or temporary.
Organisation recognises milestones of the project's next phase.
Welding and metalworking businesses must manage respiratory risks.
New report explores how regulations are being put into action.
The golden thread and BS 8644-1.
Bitumen binder may delay road surface deterioration.
A varied portfolio of internationally recognised buildings.
Threatened by housing and expanding universities.
Getting "boots on the ground" to make things happen.
Building systems may begin to learn.
CIOB to recognise Client of the Year and Team of the Year.
PAS 9980 PAS 9980:2021 addresses fire risk appraisal and assessment.