- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Jan 2020
Building Safety Regulator
On 28 October 2019 the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) announced that Dame Judith Hackitt will advise MHCLG on the most effective way to deliver a new Building Safety Regulator.
The appointment follows Dame Judith’s Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety, published in May 2018 following the Grenfell Tower Fire. The government committed to take forward all of her recommendations.
The Regulator will oversee the design and management of buildings, with a focus on ensuring the new regime for higher-risk buildings is enforced effectively and robustly. It will have the power to apply criminal sanctions to building owners who do not follow the regime.
Communities Secretary, Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP said: “I am grateful that Dame Judith has agreed to advise my department on the new Building Safety Regulator. Her expertise will be essential to forming a strong Regulator with teeth to ensure all residents are safe, and feel safe, in their homes both now and in the future."
On 20 January 2020 Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick announced new measures to improve building safety standards, described as: ‘the biggest change in building safety for a generation’. The changes, include the immediate creation of the new Building Safety Regulator and a consultation on extending the ban on combustible materials.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will begin to establish the new regulator in shadow form immediately, ahead of it being fully established.For more information see: Reform of building safety standards.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Chief inspector of buildings.
- CIC response to Hackitt report.
- Consultation on banning the use of combustible materials in the external walls of high-rise residential buildings.
- Grenfell Tower articles.
- Grenfell Tower Fire.
- Grenfell Tower independent expert advisory panel
- Grenfell Tower industry response group.
- Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
- Grenfell Tower working group.
- Hackitt review of the building regulations and fire safety, final report.
- ICE Grenfell Tower review.
- Independent review of the building regulations and fire safety.
- Joint Competent Authority.
- Reform of building safety standards.
- Sweeping building safety measures announced
Featured articles and news
Organisations will collaborate on infrastructure initiatives.
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.