- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Feb 2021
Chief inspector of buildings
The changes follow the Grenfell Tower fire, and include:
- The immediate creation of a new Building Safety Regulator within the Health and Safety Executive.
- Clarified and consolidated advice for building owners.
- An update on fire sprinklers.
- A consultation on extending the ban on combustible materials to buildings below 18 metres.
- A response to Phase 1 of the Grenfell Tower Public Inquiry.
- Naming building owners where remediation has not started to remove unsafe Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding.
In an address to parliament explaining the reforms, Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, Robert Jenrick also announced the recruitment of the first national chief inspector of buildings:
“…we will begin immediately to establish the new building safety regulator. This new regulator will be established within the Health and Safety Executive, which is an experienced regulator and is committed to introducing the new regulatory regime at pace. Ahead of legislation, the regulator will initially be in shadow form, and I am pleased to announce that Dame Judith Hackitt will chair a board to oversee the transition to this new regime. I expect the shadow regulator to be established within weeks, and we will be recruiting the first national chief inspector of buildings.”
On 16 February 2021, the HSE announced that its director of building safety and construction, Peter Baker, would run the Building Safety Regulator as 'chief inspector of buildings'. Peter said: “I am honoured to be appointed as the first Chief Inspector of Buildings and for the opportunity to play a lead role in bringing about the biggest change in building safety for a generation. I look forward to working with government, industry, partner regulators and residents to shape and deliver a world-class risk-based regulatory system for the safety and standards of buildings that residents can have confidence in and that we can all be proud of.” Ref https://press.hse.gov.uk/2021/02/16/hse-announces-new-chief-inspector-of-buildings/
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- ACM cladding.
- Approved Document B.
- Building a safer future: an implementation plan.
- Consultation on banning the use of combustible materials in the external walls of high-rise residential buildings.
- Fire at The Cube, Bolton.
- Grenfell Tower articles.
- Grenfell Tower fire.
- Grenfell Tower independent expert advisory panel.
- Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
- Independent review of the building regulations and fire safety.
- Reform of building safety standards.
Featured articles and news
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.
Making the case for a sustainable future.
Retrofit professionals now entitled to enter CIOB programme.
How, where, when and why stereotypes happen.
Optimising the best features of both energy performance tools.
BSRIA guidance updated in BG 78/2021 publication.
ISO standard supports crime prevention through environmental design.