- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Aug 2020
The Loss Prevention Standard (LSP 2082 : Issue 1.0), published by BRE Global in 2017, defines security as a: ‘State of being free from harm or fear of criminal activity.’ It defines security risk as: ‘The likelihood that a threat will be realised, together with a measure of the potential consequences associated with the realisation of the threat.’
For business and home owners, security can be very important. As well as the security of physical property it is also important to protect equipment, staff, visitors, and information. Security can also be an important consideration on construction sites.
Access control is the selective restriction of access to a particular place, building, room, resource or installation. To gain access to a restricted location an individual generally needs to have authorisation or to be given permission to enter by someone that already has authorisation. Perimeter security can be used to prevent intruders from penetrating a defined boundary between land, buildings or parts of buildings and gaining access to protected people, property or assets.
For more information, see:
With regard to building regulations, Approved Document Q requires that reasonable provision is made to resist unauthorised access to new dwellings or to any part of a building from which access can be gained to a flat within that building. For more information, see Approved Document Q.
For more information, see:
- Critical infrastructure is more vulnerable than ever. It doesn’t have to be that way.
- Cyber-security and phishing.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Infrastructure and cyber attacks.
A security consultant can act as an adviser for a building owner, occupant or property developer in relation to the design and incorporation of the security solutions. Clients typically require security consultants to advise on potential security threats and potential breaches, and to create contingency protocols to safeguard their organisation or assets. For more information, see Security consultant.
The term ‘security’ can also be used in an economic context, i.e. ‘financial security’, meaning that a project has secure and adequate funding to be able to proceed. It can also refer to leaseholds, i.e. ‘security of tenure’, whereby a tenant has certain rights to continue occupying a property once the original lease has come to an end. For example, most tenants of commercial premises with a lease of more than six months, or if they have been in occupation for more than twelve months, have security of tenure.
Designing Buildings Wiki has a range of articles about different types of security, including:
- Architectural Liaison Officer.
- BRE National Security Survey.
- BREEAM Safety and security.
- Commercial security systems.
- Crime Prevention Design Advisor.
- Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system.
- Home security solutions market.
- Home Quality Mark.
- Hostile architecture.
- How to install an underfloor safe.
- Intruder alarm.
- Outbuildings security.
- PAS 1192-5:2015 Specification for security-minded building information modelling, digital built environments and smart asset management.
- PAS 185:2017 Smart cities security.
- Personnel security.
- SABRE Security Assurance by the Building Research Establishment.
- Secured by design.
- Secure space.
- Security and the built environment.
- Security glazing.
- Security intervention.
- Security manager.
- Security Needs Assessment.
- Security rating scheme.
- Security risk.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
- Types of alarm.
- Types of lock.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.