- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Apr 2019
- Involving workers in the safety process, through toolbox talks, safety briefings, site inductions, offering safety incentives, and so on.
- Analysis of potential site safety hazards during the preconstruction phase.
- Adopting the principles of prevention: avoid risks where possible; evaluate those risks that cannot be avoided; put in place measures that control them at source.
- Encouraging an open-door policy for workers to report accidents, injuries, hazards and near misses.
- Conducting thorough near miss and incident investigations to ensure effective action is taken.
- Employing specific personnel assigned to manage safety.
- Designating health and safety duties to on-site staff, such as a first aider.
- Conducting regular project safety audits.
- Developing a site-specific health and safety plan.
- Site specific training programmes for workers and subcontractors.
- Proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP).
- Construction health risks.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH).
- Emergency plan.
- Environmental health.
- Health and safety.
- Health and safety at Work etc act 1974.
- Health and safety consultant.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Health and safety file.
- Health and safety inspector.
- Health and safety policy.
- Incident reporting system.
- Injuries on construction sites.
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- Manual handling assessment chart.
- Method statement.
- Near miss.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Pre-construction information.
- Principal contractor.
- Principal designer.
- Project risk.
- Reporting accidents and injuries on construction sites.
- Risk assessment.
- Risk management.
- Risk of rats in construction.
- Safety audit.
- Safety briefing.
- Site induction.
- Site inspection.
- Site safety.
- Toolbox talk.
- What is a hazard?
- Work at height regulations.
- Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
For a full list, see Health and Safety / CDM.
 External references
Featured articles and news
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?
One of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona.
A more flexible approach is needed.
A quick step-by-step introduction to the BREEAM process.
First pioneered in the USA and then France.
The European BACS market has been showing signs of growth.
Free ICE publication for World Water Day.