Health and safety consultant
Buildings can present a great number of possible risks both in construction and operation. There are many duties placed on those commissioning, designing, constructing and operating buildings to control those risks.
The role of the health and safety consultant is to promote a positive health and safety culture in the workplace. They are primarily responsible for ensuring that risks in the workplace are controlled and that organisations are successfully meeting safety standards.
The typical role will include:
- Preparation of health and safety strategies.
- Undertaking risk assessments.
- Liaising with regulatory authorities to ensure compliance with mandatory regulations.
- Investigating any accidents on site and documenting reports and recommendations.
- Undertaking site inspections to ensure that policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
- Delivery of Construction (Design and Management) - CDM - Services. NB CDM creates a number of specific health and safety roles for design and construction. See CDM for more information.
- Review of contractor documentation.
- Interfacing with clients and design teams on a project basis.
Consultants can advise on a range of issues which include:
- Dealing with deleterious materials, such as asbestos.
- Health issues.
- Noise and vibration problems.
- Stresses and strains.
- Assisting people returning to work after a serious injury or illness.
 Typical qualifications
Many degree-level qualifications are offered at a postgraduate level and there are various accredited courses that can be joined after attainment of a relevant first degree-level qualifications such as:
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
- British Safety Council Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health.
- City & Guilds Level 5 (NVQ) Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice.
- National Compliance and Risk Qualifications (NCRQ) Level 6 Diploma in Applied Health and Safety.
- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
 The Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register
The Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register is a register of consultants who are in a position to offer general advice to UK businesses to assist them in managing their health and safety risks. It is possible for businesses to search the register in order to find a local, experienced consultant.
 The Institution of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH)
The Institution of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH) is the chartered body for health and safety professionals and it is possible to join the institution at various membership grades ranging from Affiliate Member right up to Chartered Fellow. The institution runs a variety of training courses and conferences and has its own Code of Conduct for members to follow.
The IOSH have produced a guidance document for appointing health and safety consultants and when they may be required.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building regulations.
- Building related illness.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH).
- Environmental health.
- First aider.
- Health and safety.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Health and safety file.
- Health and safety inspector.
- Near miss.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Pre-construction information.
- Principal contractor.
- Principal designer.
- Reporting accidents and injuries on construction sites.
- Safety management.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Snøhetta complete a treehouse cabin that allows guests to lie beneath the Northern Lights.
Christiania is an anarchist 'freetown' in Copenhagen where strange and experimental architecture has flourished.
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
BSRIA give critical response to Theresa May's speech on leaving the EU.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.
Inaugurated last week, the new Elbphilharmonie concert venue; a soaring new addition to Hamburg's skyline.
Summary of a new ICE Transport journal which says improving transport infrastructure is essential to eradicating global poverty.
BRE look at a new government report into the accuracy of heat meters.
Herzog & de Meuron get planning permission for revamp of Chelsea FC football stadium.