- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Sep 2018
Health and safety plan
The requirement for a Health and Safety Plan for construction was established by the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (or 'CDM Regulations') in 1994. The regulations came into force on 31 March 1995.
The regulations were introduced to ensure that health and safety issues are properly considered during a project’s development so that the risk of harm to those who have to build, use and maintain structures is reduced.
- A general description of the construction work.
- The programme.
- Risks to the health or safety of any person carrying out the construction work.
- Other information enabling the contractors to demonstrate the competence and adequacy of resources.
- Other information enabling the contractors to understand and perform their duties under the regulations.
- Arrangements for the project to ensure the health and safety of all persons carrying out the construction work and all persons who may be affected by the work.
- Information about arrangements for the welfare of persons carrying out the construction work.
However, the CDM Regulations were substantially revised in 2007. Amongst many changes:
- The role of Planning Supervisor was replaced with a new, more hands-on CDM Co-ordinator.
- The Pre-Tender Health and Safety Plan was replaced with Pre-Construction Information, provided by the client and checked by the CDM Co-ordinator.
- The Health and Safety Plan was renamed the Construction Phase Plan (CPP), developed by the Principal Contractor.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The built environment can unlock opportunities for skills.
Additionality is a concept applied to activities and projects.
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.