- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Sep 2020
The role of ‘planning supervisor’ was created by the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM Regulations) in 1994 which came into force on 31 March 1995. The regulations were introduced to ensure that health and safety issues are properly considered during a project’s development so that the risk of harm to those who have to build, use and maintain structures is reduced.
The planning supervisor role was intended to be a supervisory one, ensuring that the regulations were complied with:
- Ensuring designers co-operated and avoided and reduced risks.
- Ensuring that the Health and Safety Plan and Health and Safety File were prepared.
- Advising the client about the adequacy and competence of designers and contractors.
- Advising the client about the Health and Safety Plan.
- Ensuring the project was notified to the Health and Safety Executive.
The CDM Co-ordinator was intended to take a more active role in the project, actually co-ordinating health and safety issues and performing tasks themselves rather than just advising or ensuring that others perform their duties. This more active role included:
- Advising the client about their duties.
- Facilitating good communication between the client, designers and contractors.
- Notifying the Health and Safety Executive.
- Co-ordinating health and safety aspects of design.
- Providing, or ensuring that the client provides relevant pre-construction information.
- Preparing or compiling the health and safety file.
However, the 2007 CDM Regulations were substantially revised in 2015. These revisions saw the role of CDM Co-ordinator transferred to a Principal Designer and Principal Contractor to try to embed it better into the project team. See CDM 2015 for more information.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.