- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Oct 2020
Approved document Q
The building regulations establish standards that must be achieved in the construction of buildings. The approved documents provide guidance for how the building regulations can be satisfied in common situations.
Approved Document Q - Security – Dwellings, Q1 Unauthorised access, supports requirement Q1 of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2010. It is for use in England but also applies to building work carried out on excepted energy buildings in Wales as defined in the Welsh Ministers (Transfer of Functions (No. 2) Order 2009.
The approved document was drafted following the 'Housing standards review' launched by the government in October 2012 following the housing and construction 'Red Tape Challenge', which began in Spring 2012. It was published on 27 March 2015 as part of a new set of streamlined national technical standards.
Approved Document Q applies to new dwellings. It took effect on 1 October 2015, but does not apply to work started before 1 October 2015, or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date provided the work is started on site before 1 October 2016.
Approved Document Q requires that reasonable provision is made to resist unauthorised access to new dwellings or to any part of a building from which access can be gained to a flat within that building.
- Should be secure doorsets.
- Letter plates should not exceed a maximum size and should prevent people trying to remove keys form inside.
- Main entry doors should have a door viewer or other means to see callers.
- Frames should be mechanically fixed to the structure of the building and lightweight frames should incorporate a resilient layer.
- Easily accessible windows should be secure and frames should be mechanically fixed to the structure of the building.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved documents.
- Approved inspector.
- Building control bodies.
- Building Regulations.
- Commercial security systems.
- Competent person schemes.
- Construction Products Regulations.
- Door energy rating.
- Easily accessible window.
- Entry control.
- Housing standards review.
- Northern Ireland building regulations.
- Perimeter security.
- Scottish building standards.
- Security and the built environment.
- The Building Act.
- Welsh building regulations.
- Window energy rating.
Featured articles and news
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.
Procedure discontinued for sale or re-mortgage of buildings without cladding.