- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Mar 2019
Welsh building regulations
- What qualifies as ‘building work’ and so falls under the control of the regulations.
- What types of buildings are exempt.
- The notification procedures that must be followed when starting, carrying out, and completing building work.
- Requirements for specific aspects of building design and construction.
The Welsh Ministers (Transfer of Functions) (No. 2) Order 2009 was made on 17 November 2009 and came into force on 31 December 2011 when responsibility for building regulations in Wales was transferred to the Welsh government.
This included powers in:
- The Building Act 1984.
- The Sustainable and Secure Buildings Act 2004.
- The Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Act 2006.
- The functions in secondary legislation made under these Acts, including functions under the Building Regulations 2010 and the Building (Approved Inspectors, etc.) Regulations 2010.
The Building Regulations Advisory Committee for Wales (BRACW), which was set up in 2012, advises on proposed changes to the regulations and follows the Code of Practice for Scientific Advisory Committees (CoPSAC).
 Building regulations guidance
Practical guidance on compliance with all aspects of the building regulations is available from the Welsh government website. A series of ‘Approved Documents’ accompany the regulations, setting out ways that the building regulations can be satisfied in common building situations.
Private sector Approved Inspectors are authorised individuals or companies who under the Building Act 1984 can check that building work is compliant with the regulations. The Construction Industry Council (CIC) approve individuals as approved inspectors and the Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors (ACAI) acts as the representative body.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.