- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 Jan 2022
Construction Industry Council
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) was established in 1988 to provide ‘…a single voice for professionals in all sectors of the built environment’. It is a forum for professional bodies, research organisations and specialist business associations in the construction industry. These member organisations give the CIC a ‘collective membership’ of 500,000 professionals.
CIC describes its mission as:
- To serve society by promoting quality and sustainability in the built environment.
- To give leadership to the construction industry, encouraging unity of purpose, collaboration, continuous improvement and career development.
- To add value and emphasis to the work of members.
It provides an interface for members with the wider industry and government. It supports the Strategic Forum for Construction, Construction Skills, the Construction Umbrella Bodies and its subsidiary initiatives and works with government through the Construction Sector Unit of BIS, the Building Regulations and Standards Division of MHCLG, the Green Construction Board, Infrastructure UK (now the Infrastructure and Projects Authority) and the All Party Parliamentary Group for Excellence in the Built Environment.
In addition, it offers a range of professional services, including dispute resolution, policy development, maintenance and operation of the Approved Inspectors Register (CICAIR), the provision of a Design Quality Indicator (DQI) and so on.
- CIC BIM Protocol.
- CIC Scope of Services.
- PAS 1192-2:2013, Specification for information management for the capital/delivery phase of construction projects using building information modelling (now replaced by BS EN ISO 19650).
- Collateral warranties.
- Adjudication procedures.
- Novation agreement.
- Best Practice Guide for Professional Indemnity Insurance when using BIM.
- Outline Scope of Services for the role of Information Management.
In February 2017, CIC published a new Users’ Guide to Adjudication, providing a general introduction to adjudication in construction contracts, and the right to adjudication in the UK and Northern Ireland.
In March 2017, CIC published: Essential principles, Creating an accessible and inclusive environment.
In June 2021, Justin Sullivan succeeded Stephen Hodder as CIC chair.
- CDM 20-20 vision - changing the culture.
- CIC BIM 2050 group.
- CIC BIM Protocol.
- CIC Economic and Policy Briefing 2017.
- CIC launches a carbon zero climate action plan for professional institutions.
- CIC response to Hackitt report.
- CIC Roadmap for Change.
- Considerate Constructors Scheme.
- Constructing Excellence.
- Construction Task Force.
- Design quality indicator DQI.
- Essential principles, Creating an accessible and inclusive environment.
- Fragmentation of the UK construction industry.
- Infrastructure and Projects Authority.
- Infrastructure UK.
- Latham report.
- PAS 1192-2:2013.
- PPC 2000.
- The Construction Industry Council summarises what to expect from the Construction Products Regulations.
- Young Construction Industry professionals urged to share their views on the future of the sector.
 External references
Featured articles and news
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.