- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Apr 2019
Construction Industry Council
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) was established in 1988 to provide ‘…a single voice for professionals in all sectors of the built environment’. It is a forum for professional bodies, research organisations and specialist business associations in the construction industry. These member organisations give the CIC a ‘collective membership’ of 500,000 professionals.
CIC describes its mission as:
- To serve society by promoting quality and sustainability in the built environment.
- To give leadership to the construction industry, encouraging unity of purpose, collaboration, continuous improvement and career development.
- To add value and emphasis to the work of members.
CIC is governed by a council of 24 elected representatives from five electoral colleges, and a number of elected honorary officers.
It provides an interface for members with the wider industry and government. It supports the Strategic Forum for Construction, ConstructionSkills, the Construction Umbrella Bodies and its subsidiary initiatives and works with government through the Construction Sector Unit of BIS, the Building Regulations and Standards Division of MHCLG, the Green Construction Board, Infrastructure UK (now the Infrastructure and Projects Authority) and the All Party Parliamentary Group for Excellence in the Built Environment.
In addition, it offers a range of professional services, including dispute resolution, policy development, maintenance and operation of the Approved Inspectors Register (CICAIR), the provision of a Design Quality Indicator (DQI) and so on.
- CIC BIM Protocol.
- CIC Scope of Services.
- PAS 1192-2:2013, Specification for information management for the capital/delivery phase of construction projects using building information modelling (now replaced by BS EN ISO 19650).
- Collateral warranties.
- Adjudication procedures.
- Novation agreement.
- Best Practice Guide for Professional Indemnity Insurance when using BIM.
- Outline Scope of Services for the role of Information Management.
In February 2017, CIC published a new Users’ Guide to Adjudication, providing a general introduction to adjudication in construction contracts, and the right to adjudication in the UK and Northern Ireland.
In March 2017, CIC published: Essential principles, Creating an accessible and inclusive environment.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- CIC BIM 2050 group.
- CIC BIM Protocol.
- CIC Economic and Policy Briefing 2017.
- CIC response to Hackitt report.
- Considerate Constructors Scheme.
- Constructing Excellence.
- Construction Task Force.
- Essential principles, Creating an accessible and inclusive environment.
- Fragmentation of the UK construction industry.
- Infrastructure and Projects Authority.
- Infrastructure UK.
- Latham report.
- PAS 1192-2:2013.
- PPC 2000.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Inspecting and reporting on moisture-related problems.
Will Norway build the world's first floating tunnel?
Domestic Retrofit training course.
Preparing to sell a commercial property.
Local Plan Route Mapper and toolkit.
Thermal mass in buildings.
CIAT's AT Academy.
The UK's most dangerous industries to work in.
Achieving an alternative route into the profession.
Why construction is so corrupt.
Restoration of Alfred Waterhouse’s Manchester Town Hall.