CIC Roadmap for Change
In March 2020, the Construction Industry Council (CIC) announced its Roadmap for Change, a resource to promote industry best practice. The Roadmap for Change is a digital platform designed to highlight the work being done in the construction industry to bring about change. The initiative was created by CIC’s Diversity and Inclusion panel.
In 2018, the CIC’s Diversity and Inclusion panel conducted a survey of the industry. The survey covered several topics, including key questions that examined the overall professional satisfaction experienced by those who participated.
Overall, the majority of respondents (72%) felt the industry was not doing enough to attract, retain and develop a diverse workforce. When asked about specific issues that might prompt them to consider leaving the profession, 42% mentioned procurement models, late payments and rates of pay while 35% cited lack of work/life balance.
- Image: An inclusive and attractive industry that represents the community it serves. A sector with a proactive equality, diversity and inclusion culture
- Progression: A culture that values its people, supporting career aspirations and progression for all.
- Procurement: An industry that is purpose driven, values itself and gets recognition for it, with a holistic approach to best value in the procurement process.
- Inclusive design: An industry that creates good quality spaces for everyone and meets the diverse needs of the community.
- Leadership: Leaders that enable a culture of inclusion, reflecting the communities they serve.
- Technology: An industry that embraces new technology and uses it to drive improvement and performance.
 A platform built on best practices
The Roadmap for Change has been produced in collaboration with Building People, a social enterprise that aggregates content and opportunities across the built environment (architecture, engineering and construction), and then connects people to information, resources and vacancies through digitally enabling existing organisations and initiatives.The sharing takes place in the form of a single marketplace dedicated to educational opportunities (such as training programmes and podcasts) and case studies.
In the spirit of collaboration, the Roadmap for Change intends to break down silos and facilitate the sharing of success stories - and failures - to help minimise duplication of efforts and experiences.
Find out more at: https://www.roadmapforchange.org.uk/
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Diversity, social value and skills
- Building People 'Network of Networks'
 Join in
Building People is bringing together the huge amount of resource that exists across the Built Environment industry, with a focus on diversity and inclusion, skills and careers, and social value.
We need your help to do this.
Have you got useful material to share? Do you know of information that would be helpful to others? If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then it's relevant to others. Help them find it by using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.