Diversity and inclusion
If you're looking for information and material on equality, diversity and inclusion in the Built Environment sector, then you've come to the right place. Please help grow this important resource by adding your own links and material.
If you're looking for careers information, advice and guidance, go to the Building People platform and visit the Communities page, where you will find details of 36+ organisations/initiatives that provide built environment careers support to diverse and under-represented audiences.
Equality, diversity and inclusion should be at the forefront of everyone's minds when looking to improve and progress your organisation. Here is a wide range of content that can be applied across the built environment and beyond, to ensure everyone is welcome and included within the industry.
- A Blueprint for Change report.
- Apprenticeships and social mobility: Fulfilling Potential
- Balance for better: why lack of diversity is an issue for everyone.
- Boardroom to building site skills gap survey.
- Build a Better Future: The Built Environment and the Sustainable Development Goals (Bioregional)
- Building from the bottom-up: Recommendations to support the Construction Leadership Council’s Skills Plan (Building People)
- Building inclusivity: Laying the foundations for the future (RICS)
- Building Site to Boardroom (BS2B).
- Charter for diversity and inclusion in construction and special report launched by CIOB.
- Civil engineering and language
- Diversity and inclusion in the construction industry.
- Diversity in regeneration.
- Diversity in the construction industry.
- Diversity Wins - How Inclusion Matters (McKinsey)
- Equal opportunities policy.
- Equality Act.
- Equality and diversity: Good practice for the construction sector (EHRC).
- Flexonomics: The Economic and fiscal logic of flexible working
- Gender stereotypes examined in Unlimited Potential report.
- Inclusivity in engineering.
- Inclusive Employers Toolkit
- ISO 30415.
- Making cities more gender inclusive.
- Protected characteristics.
- Routes to Diversity & Inclusion (CIHT)
- Social value
- Socio-economic diversity in the real estate sector
- Supporting Diversity - Good Growth by Design (Mayor of London)
- To attract the right talent, offering flexibility and work-life balance will be essential.
- The Inclusive Culture Pyramid
- UandI Think event - The Age of No Retirement.
- Unconscious bias: Addressing workplace diversity (RICS)
- Disability Guide (Remploy)
- Architecture is systemically racist (AJ)
- Ethnicity Pay Gap Report 2019 (CBRE)
- Investing in Ethnicity Maturity Matrix 2019 (appg)
- Race discrimination in the construction industry (EHRC)
- CIAT celebrates Pride 2020.
- Engineering equality: LGBT stories from ICE.
- LGBT in Construction: Exploring experiences to inform inclusive practices (CIOB)
- LGBT+ Toolbox Talk (Building Equality)
- London build: the talent pool in the lgbt community.
- Gender Transition, Expression and Identity Toolkit (CBRE)
- The Gender Bias Decoder
- Building mental health in construction toolkit
- Dealing with stress, anxiety and change in difficult times - Webinar
- Education, Apprenticeships and how Industry can support to students into construction and engineering trades - Webinar
- How to look after the mental health of your workforce - Webinar
- Mates in Mind site pack.
- Gender pay gap in construction.
- How to encourage women into engineering.
- Inclusive Value resource and toolkit
- International Women in Engineering Day 2018.
- International Women's Day 2017.
- Interview with Harriet Latimer - Graduate Design Engineer.
- The Future of Women in Architecture (Women in Architecture UK)
- The power of real balance (PWC/Real Estate Balance, 2017)
- Why so many women leave engineering.
- Women, Boards and the UK Built Environment (2017)
- Women in construction - building pace post-Brexit (Randstad, 2020)
- Women in Construction – the critical solution to a skills shortage.
- Women in the construction industry
- Women into Construction - online resources