CIAT celebrates Pride 2020
In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic impacted Pride organisations around the world, with hundreds of marches and events cancelled or postponed. Global Pride has provided an opportunity for the LGBT+ community around the world to come together and celebrate diversity and equality during these challenging times.
 Showing support
CIAT is a member of Building Equality, an alliance of construction organisations and professionals working together to drive LGBT+ inclusion in the built environment sector. As part of the Institute’s membership, we contribute at committee level, participating in events across the UK.
In 2019, Architectural Technology professionals were represented for the first time at Pride in London and later in Manchester as CIAT, led by President Eddie Weir PCIAT, marched to demonstrate solidarity and equality for all those in the LGBT+ community. Building Equality holds a range of events and has bespoke, free resources, including the LGBT+ inclusion toolbox talk designed to facilitate inclusion in the workplace.
 Taskforce created
As an Institute, CIAT values and upholds the principles of equality and diversity and are committed to supporting equality for all, encouraging our members to champion diverse and inclusive spaces and workplaces. Part of our commitment extends to the creation of the Institute’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Taskforce, which aims to:
- Define equality, diversity and inclusion
- Guide CIAT on its commitment statement
- Update the current Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy
- Create and develop an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
- Set aims and how they can be achieved such as equality monitoring and learning and development for the membership.
- Prioritise collecting and using good quality people data to identify barriers and solutions.
- Regularly audit, review and evaluate progress, using quantitative and qualitative data on both diversity and inclusion, to highlight where barriers exist and show the impact of initiatives, making appropriate changes to activities if needed.
- Benchmark progress against other organisations and explore what others are doing to adopt and adapt ideas where appropriate.
- Network with others from inside and outside the organisation to keep up-to-date and to share learning.
 Importance of inclusivity
President Eddie Weir PCIAT says: “Current events have demonstrated how important equality, diversity and inclusivity is within our society. One of my aims coming into my term as President was to continue and broaden the work around equality and diversity within the built environment. The introduction of CIAT’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Taskforce is a big step in the right direction to ensure that all our Architectural Technology professionals, regardless of their gender, colour and sexuality, are treated equally in both the Architectural Technology community and the wider built environment.”
This article originally appeared on 25 June 2020 on the CIAT website.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- ALT. MCR Pride.
- CIAT articles.
- Dive into diversity.
- Diversity, equality and opportunities in the construction industry.
- Diversity in the construction industry. Building Site to Boardroom (BS2B).
- Engineering equality: LGBT stories from ICE.
- Equal opportunities policy.
- Equality Act.
- Inclusivity in engineering.
- London build: the talent pool in the lgbt community.
Diversity, social value and skills
 Are you looking for..?
- Work Opportunities (from work experience to jobs)
- Activities & Events
- Ask a Person
- Search Organisations (careers support specific to diverse groups)
 Join in
Have you got useful material to share?
If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then help people to find it by adding details to this People microsite and using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.
- Finding it tricky? Contact us for assistance.