ALT. MCR Pride
|Building Equality is the largest alliance of UK-wide construction, engineering and built environment organisations promoting, celebrating and facilitating LGBT+ inclusion across the sector.|
Over the last 5 years, Building Equality and its member organisations have come together to celebrate Pride in cities across the UK. Physical Pride events may be cancelled this year, but that doesn't mean Pride is cancelled.
Building Equality are hosting ALT. MCR Pride to showcase our community through online webinars, exclusive author readings, vigils, positive speakers and competitions, all highlighting the experiences of LGBT+ individuals. ALT. MCR Pride takes place from Monday 24 August through to Friday 28 August and is open to all, LGBT+ and allies, Building Equality members and otherwise.
Featuring Meet the Members sessions, where we invite our members LGBT+ Network Executive Sponsors to explore, inform and shout about the great things they are doing to progress LGBT+ inclusion in their organisation, and in our industry.
ALT. MCR Pride will showcase the accessibility of our industry to LGBT+ individuals and other minority groups. To help shift the industry culture and build more inclusive and understanding working environments, through highlighting the progress, celebrating difference and empowering others to become allies to inclusion.
Luke Ives, Social Value and Inclusion & Diversity Coordinator, Jacobs and Building Equality Executive Committee noted: "Recent statistics tell us that there are still daily challenges faced by LGBT+ individuals in our industry that need to be addressed. However, real progress has been made in supporting visible role models, so there is a true reflection of the communities we serve. ALT. MCR Pride is the biggest showcase of virtual LGBT+ inclusion in the construction industry and it is a reflection of the changing face of our industry."
Jake Stothard, Software Developer, Arup and Co-Chair of Building Equality Greater Manchester, added: "With threats to trans rights and a global pandemic preventing us meeting in person this year, now more than ever our industry, and community, must unite in support of all LGBT+ people. ALT. MCR Pride is an incredible opportunity for us all to come together as a community, to learn from each other and celebrate the amazing work we have accomplished over the last year."
This article originally appeared on the CIAT website on 17 AUG 2020.
 Related article on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building People.
- CIAT articles.
- CIAT celebrates Pride 2020.
- Dive into diversity.
- Diversity in the construction industry. Building Site to Boardroom (BS2B).
- Diversity, equality and opportunities in the construction industry.
- Equality Act.
- London build: the talent pool in the lgbt community.
- People Wiki.
- Protected characteristics.
Diversity, social value and skills
 Are you looking for..?
- Work Opportunities (from work experience to jobs)
- Activities & Events
- Ask a Person
- Search Organisations (careers support specific to diverse groups)
 Join in
Have you got useful material to share?
If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then help people to find it by adding details to this People microsite and using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.
- Finding it tricky? Contact us for assistance.