- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Aug 2019
Scottish building standards
In Scotland, ministers are responsible for making building standards (equivalent to the building regulations in England) and the associated technical guidance documents. The Building (Scotland) Act 2003 grants this power.
The 32 Scottish Local Authorities act as verifiers administering the building standards system, granting permissions (building warrants) and completion certificates. The Scottish Government Building Standards Division monitor the local authorities.
The main purpose of the standards is to ensure that buildings are safe, efficient and sustainable. They do not control the building process, but outline the essential standards that are to be met during building works or conversions.
- Prepare the building standards and produce guidance on how to attain the standards.
- Assist local authorities making decisions on compliance.
- Allow relaxations of the standards in exceptional circumstances.
- Maintain a register of approved certifiers.
- Regulate the certification system.
- Regulate the performance of verifiers.
- Verify crown building work.
There are two technical handbooks which provide guidance on achieving the building standards:
Certification is an optional scheme for the implementation of building standards applicable to work that requires a building warrant. It can only be undertaken by a registered, approved certifier of design or construction holding the appropriate designations and employed by an appropriate body or business.
The Certification Handbook provides guidance on the implementation of this procedure.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Approved documents.
- Approved inspector.
- Building control bodies.
- Building notice.
- Building regulations.
- Building warrant.
- CIOB Value of Construction: Scotland report.
- Drying room - Scotland.
- Feu charter.
- Low carbon building standards strategy for Scotland.
- Property factor.
- Republic of Ireland updates to planning and development.
- Scottish building services certification schemes.
- Scottish building standards sustainability labelling.
- Scottish planning policy.
- Scottish planning and architecture documents.
- Sewers For Scotland.
- Statutory approvals.
- Statutory authorities.
- United Kingdom.
 External references
Featured articles and news
A material with exciting potential.
ECA-partnered survey shows the clear benefits.
Hire for potential, not competence.
A single knowledge hub for global infrastructure.
Compliance in construction.
The growth of the smart homes market.
Giving professional advice to friends.
Towards a radical eclecticism.
Showing the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
Soft Landings for refurbishment projects.
An invaluable book for everyone involved in conservation.