- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Jan 2018
Scottish planning policy
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
In Scotland, primary planning law is established by The Town and Country Planning Act (Scotland) 1997 Chapter 8 as amended by The Planning etc. (Scotland) Act 2006. Local authorities and the national park authorities are responsibility for delivering planning services.
Scottish Planning Policy is the Scottish government’s national policy for future development and the use of land. Following a review of planning policy, the latest version was published in June 2014, replacing the 2010 version and the Designing Places (2001) statement.
- Preparation of development plans.
- Development design from conception to delivery.
- Determination of planning applications and appeals.
- National Planning Framework (NPF). This sets the context for development planning in Scotland and provides a framework for the spatial development of Scotland as a whole. National Planning Framework 3 was laid in the Scottish Parliament on 23 June 2014.
- Creating Places policy statement.
- Designing Streets policy statement.
See Scottish planning and architecture documents for more information.
The principal policies covered include:
- Sustainability – a strong focus for the government to create a more successful country through increasing sustainable economic growth.
- Delivery – focusing on development planning and development management.
- Placemaking – with an emphasis on places creating better places.
Key subjects have specific policies, including:
- Promoting town centres.
- Promoting rural development.
- Supporting business and employment.
- Enabling delivery of new homes.
- Valuing the historic environment.
- · A natural, resilient place:
- Valuing the natural environment.
- Maximising the benefits of green infrastructure.
- Supporting aquaculture.
- Managing flood risk and drainage.
- A connected place:
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Drying room - Scotland.
- National planning policy framework.
- Planning permission.
- Planning (Wales) Bill.
- Scottish building standards.
- Scottish planning and architecture documents.
- UK construction industry.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.