- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Sep 2019
Local planning authorities are required to undertake statutory consultations on proposed development as set out in Article 10 of the Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995.
Statutory consultees may include:
- Local authority.
- Parish and community councils.
- Building control.
- Canal and River Trust.
- Civil Aviation Authority.
- The Crown Estates Commissioners.
- The Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Historic England.
- Environment Agency.
- Forestry Commission.
- Gardens Trust.
- Greater London Authority.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Highways England.
- Local Highway Authority.
- Ministry of Defence.
- Ministry for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.
- Natural England.
- The rail network operator.
- The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry.
- Sport England.
- The Theatres Trust.
- Toll Road Concessionaires.
- Port of London Authority.
Other non-statutory consultees could include:
- The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (now part of the Design Council).
- County archaeological officers.
- Inland Revenue.
- Local authority environmental health officers.
- Minerals planning authorities.
- Navigation authorities.
- Police architectural liaison officers and crime prevention design advisers.
- Waste disposal authorities.
In addition, Building Regulation approval will be required. This can be provided by the local authority or by an approved inspector. See Statutory approvals and Building regulations for more information.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building regulations.
- Conservation areas.
- Consultation process.
- Delegated powers.
- Designated sites.
- Listed buildings.
- Natural England.
- Parliamentary procedure.
- Penfold Review.
- Planning permission.
- Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Statutory approvals.
- Statutory obligations.
- Statutory undertakers.
- Third party dependencies.
- Tree preservation orders.
- What approvals are needed before construction begins.
 External references
- The Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995.
- Planning Portal, Statutory consultees.
- Planning Portal, Statutory consultee information page.
Featured articles and news
The Architects Registration Board.
How BSRIA monitored the performance of new homes.
How to research a building when there are no primary sources.
A re-thatching project has supported a critically endangered skill.
What inspired the Metabolist movement in architecture?
A radical transformation of three agricultural barns.
How to evict a tenant
The top 10 priorities for health and wellbeing.
Why some clients make BREEAM a contractual requirement.
Raising the roof in Southwark.
The difference between consultant switch and novation.