- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 26 Feb 2019
A community group (full name ‘voluntary and community group’) is a collection of individuals located in a common geographical area who come together to promote a common cause for the public/community benefit. The aim may be to influence institutions, corporations or government and possibly to influence social reform or seek more representation on decision-making bodies.
Typical examples of community groups are community associations such as King’s Cross Brunswick Neighbourhood Association, which aims to improve the quality of life of local residents in the King’s Cross and Brunswick area of central London.
Community groups usually have a governing document called a ‘constitution’ which sets out the group’s rules, aims, obligations and powers. As well as providing a framework for action, the constitution ensures the group operates in accordance with the law and in a responsible manner.
The typical characteristics of a community group might include:
- Activities are for the benefit of the community or general public.
- It relies on volunteer support – none of the members are paid.
- It is independent and self-governing, appointing its own management committee.
- It is not for profit, therefore nobody is paid for what they do.
- Community Right to Bid.
- Community Right to Challenge.
- Community Right to Build.
- Community Right to Reclaim Land.
- The Right to Contest.
- Neighbourhood planning measures.
- Assets of community value.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Community liaison officer.
- Community right to bid.
- Community right to build.
- Community rights.
- King's Cross Station Redevelopment
- Lifetime neighbourhoods.
- Local development order.
- Localism Act.
- Neighbourhood development orders.
- Neighbourhood planning
- Neighbourhood Planning Bill 2016-17.
- User panels for briefing and design development
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.