- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Aug 2019
Community liaison officer
A liaison officer communicates and coordinates activities between two organisations.
A community liaison officer (CLO), sometimes referred to as a local liaison officer, communicates and coordinates activities between an organisation and a community. Typically, this might be required where an organisation such as a property developer has a significant interaction with the general public.
The specific role of a CLO will vary depending on the nature of the project, but typical responsibilities might include:
- Gathering and sharing information.
- Fostering an environment that encourages and supports community involvement and engagement.
- Giving presentations to community organisations.
- Hosting or attending community meetings, allowing attendees to express concerns and raise issues.
- Leading community development activities, such as ‘fun days’, apprenticeships, work experience schemes, lectures, and so on.
- Building a ‘community spirit’ around a project.
- Ensure planning obligations are met.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Five hugely demanding projects.
Conversion of Blairtum House, Lanarkshire
Why civil engineering is the 'best' career.
Green rating systems
Information is the lifeblood of quality management.
How PowerLottery helps industry colleagues.
Eliminating waste through blockchain.
Emerging cost contracts.
Connecting infrastructure with housing.
All about E-procurement.
Winners and finalists in CIAT's architectural technology awards.