- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Mar 2021
Types of lock
Types of lock mechanism include:
- Warded lock: A set of wards (obstructions) that cannot be opened unless a key with notches corresponding to the wards is inserted.
- Pin tumbler lock: A set of pins that prevent opening unless a key with the correct bittings (teeth and notches) is inserted.
- Wafer tumbler lock: A similar mechanism to a pin tumbler except each wafer is a single piece, unlike a pin which is two or more pieces.
- Disc tumbler lock: A particularly secure lock that consists of slotted rotating detainer discs.
- Lever tumbler lock: A set of levers that prevent a bolt from moving in the lock.
- Electronic lock: Uses an electric current and is typically connected to an access control system. Examples include a keycard lock (opened using a keycard) and a smart lock (opened using a cryptographic key and wireless protocol).
- Mortice deadlocks: Typically found on external doors.
- Nightlatches: Also known as secondary locks, that can either be standard (locks automatically unless the latch is held back), or deadlocked (locks automatically and requires a key inside and outside).
- Multi-point locking systems: A minimum of three locking points that bolt the door into the frame.
- Knob locks: The lock cylinder is inside the knob rather than the door. Typically found on internal doors.
- Lever handle locks: The lock cylinder is inside the handle rather than the door. This is typically easier to open than a knob lock.
- Patio door locks: Can either be fitted to the central rail where patio doors overlap, or top and bottom, or rim-locks that bolt the door into the frame.
- Padlocks: These are locks which are detached from anything else, typically used for outbuildings, gates, etc. They can be either combination locked (with number dials) or key locked, and can be open or closed shackle.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Commercial security systems.
- Digital door lock market.
- Entry control.
- External doors.
- Home security solutions market.
- How door locks work.
- Mortice lock.
- Mortise vs mortice.
- Outbuildings security.
- Perimeter security.
- Security and the built environment.
- Security glazing.
- Types of alarm.
- Types of door.
Featured articles and news
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.