- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Dec 2020
Types of lock
Types of lock mechanism include:
- Warded lock: A set of wards (obstructions) that cannot be opened unless a key with notches corresponding to the wards is inserted.
- Pin tumbler lock: A set of pins that prevent opening unless a key with the correct bittings (teeth and notches) is inserted.
- Wafer tumbler lock: A similar mechanism to a pin tumbler except each wafer is a single piece, unlike a pin which is two or more pieces.
- Disc tumbler lock: A particularly secure lock that consists of slotted rotating detainer discs.
- Lever tumbler lock: A set of levers that prevent a bolt from moving in the lock.
- Electronic lock: Uses an electric current and is typically connected to an access control system. Examples include a keycard lock (opened using a keycard) and a smart lock (opened using a cryptographic key and wireless protocol).
- Mortice deadlocks: Typically found on external doors.
- Nightlatches: Also known as secondary locks, that can either be standard (locks automatically unless the latch is held back), or deadlocked (locks automatically and requires a key inside and outside).
- Multi-point locking systems: A minimum of three locking points that bolt the door into the frame.
- Knob locks: The lock cylinder is inside the knob rather than the door. Typically found on internal doors.
- Lever handle locks: The lock cylinder is inside the handle rather than the door. This is typically easier to open than a knob lock.
- Patio door locks: Can either be fitted to the central rail where patio doors overlap, or top and bottom, or rim-locks that bolt the door into the frame.
- Padlocks: These are locks which are detached from anything else, typically used for outbuildings, gates, etc. They can be either combination locked (with number dials) or key locked, and can be open or closed shackle.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Access control.
- Commercial security systems.
- Digital door lock market.
- Entry control.
- External doors.
- Home security solutions market.
- Mortice lock.
- Mortise vs mortice.
- Outbuildings security.
- Perimeter security.
- Security and the built environment.
- Security glazing.
- Types of alarm.
- Types of door.
Featured articles and news
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.