- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Mar 2020
The Uniclass classifications, state that: “Systems are typically single-trade built objects made up of several products, collectively serving a common purpose, such as the load-bearing blockwork inner skin of an external wall Element. In ISO 12006-2, they roughly equate to the concept of ‘designed elements’.” NB ISO 12006-2 is the international standard: Building construction -- Organization of information about construction works -- Part 2: Framework for classification.
Uniclass 2015 suggests that: “Systems are the collection of components that go together to make an element or to carry out a function. For a pitched roof, the rafters, lining, tiles, ceiling boards, insulation and ceiling finish comprise a system, or a low temperature hot water heating system is formed from a boiler, pipework, tank, radiators, etc. A signal system for a railway has a number of components and products; and the scum removal system is part of a wastewater treatment entity.”
The RIBA Plan of Work 2020 defines building systems as: ‘The constituent parts of a building, including, but not limited to, structural systems, mechanical and electrical systems, façade, ceiling, floors and wall systems.’
- Building Automation and Control Systems
- Building energy management systems
- Building heating systems
- Building management systems
- Classification systems
- Commercial security systems
- Commissioning building systems
- Cooling systems for buildings
- Curtain wall systems
- Daylight lighting systems
- Daylight Lighting Systems
- Daylight systems
- Distributed Antenna Systems
- Electrical control systems
- Fire Detection and Fire Alarm Systems
- Global positioning systems global navigation satellite systems
- Integrated systems
- Intelligent building management systems
- Light gauge steel framing systems
- Lighting control systems
- Parking reservation systems
- Personal protection watermist systems in the homes of vulnerable people
- Solar thermal systems
- Structural systems
- Structural systems for offices
- Sustainable drainage systems
- Systems thinking
- Walling systems
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?