- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Jan 2020
Light gauge steel framing systems
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Light-gauge steel framing systems consist of structural frames fabricated using cold formed steel sections. They can be used throughout a structure, including load-bearing exterior walls, non-load bearing interior walls, floor joists, curtain walls and roof trusses.
Their benefits include:
- Fast and clean construction.
- Cost efficient.
- Robust structural performance.
- Enhanced thermal performance (reference required).
- Sustainable construction (reference required).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Braced frame.
- Concept structural design of buildings.
- Concrete frame.
- Concrete-steel composite structures.
- Guidance for construction quality management professionals: Structural Steelwork.
- Portal frame.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Skeleton frame.
- Steel frame.
- Structural steelwork.
- Timber frame.
- Types of frame.
- Types of steel.
Featured articles and news
1 minute read.
An alternative to secondary ventilation stacks in tall buildings.
How to deliver the infrastructure the country needs.
Protecting employees from hearing damage.
One of the largest office buildings in the world.
Who holds the risk for COVID-19?
Insights from New York.
A quick introduction to a very complicated subject.
CIOB suggests the economic reach of construction is double the official figures.
The first US building to achieve BREEAM Outstanding In-Use.
70 buildings from 70 years of Concrete Quarterly. Book review.