- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 07 Oct 2020
Light gauge steel framing systems
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Light-gauge steel framing systems consist of structural frames fabricated using cold formed steel sections. They can be used throughout a structure, including load-bearing exterior walls, non-load bearing interior walls, floor joists, curtain walls and roof trusses.
Their benefits include:
- Fast and clean construction.
- Cost efficient.
- Robust structural performance.
- Enhanced thermal performance (reference required).
- Sustainable construction (reference required).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Braced frame.
- Concept structural design of buildings.
- Concrete frame.
- Concrete-steel composite structures.
- Guidance for construction quality management professionals: Structural Steelwork.
- Portal frame.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Skeleton frame.
- Steel frame.
- Structural steelwork.
- Timber frame.
- Types of frame.
- Types of steel.
Featured articles and news
IHBC members encouraged to update violations database.
Non-obtrusive security sensors can help deter intruders.
Adopting a fabric first approach to efficiency.
Government emphasises training for construction and engineering trades.
ECA and SELECT offer assistance to members set back by delays.
The virtual learning event examines Historic Places - People Places.
Getting post-pandemic infrastructure on the right track.
One of England's grandest country houses.
Take just two minutes to provide your feedback.
An update of standards and regulations is under consideration.
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.