- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Oct 2020
Light gauge steel framing systems
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Light-gauge steel framing systems consist of structural frames fabricated using cold formed steel sections. They can be used throughout a structure, including load-bearing exterior walls, non-load bearing interior walls, floor joists, curtain walls and roof trusses.
Their benefits include:
- Fast and clean construction.
- Cost efficient.
- Robust structural performance.
- Enhanced thermal performance (reference required).
- Sustainable construction (reference required).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Braced frame.
- Concept structural design of buildings.
- Concrete frame.
- Concrete-steel composite structures.
- Guidance for construction quality management professionals: Structural Steelwork.
- Portal frame.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Skeleton frame.
- Steel frame.
- Structural steelwork.
- Timber frame.
- Types of frame.
- Types of steel.
Featured articles and news
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.
Procedure discontinued for sale or re-mortgage of buildings without cladding.