- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Jan 2020
Light gauge steel framing systems
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Light-gauge steel framing systems consist of structural frames fabricated using cold formed steel sections. They can be used throughout a structure, including load-bearing exterior walls, non-load bearing interior walls, floor joists, curtain walls and roof trusses.
Their benefits include:
- Fast and clean construction.
- Cost efficient.
- Robust structural performance.
- Enhanced thermal performance (reference required).
- Sustainable construction (reference required).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Braced frame.
- Concept structural design of buildings.
- Concrete frame.
- Concrete-steel composite structures.
- Guidance for construction quality management professionals: Structural Steelwork.
- Portal frame.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Skeleton frame.
- Steel frame.
- Structural steelwork.
- Timber frame.
- Types of frame.
- Types of steel.
Featured articles and news
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.
Traditional low-energy approaches to comfort.
Revisiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet in Ashford.
USA In-Use Version 6 is now available.
The rise of architectural barbarism.
In contentious political contexts heritage can be more fractious.
Civil engineering and the digital transformation.