- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Dec 2020
These may include:
- Motion, usually to drive applications such as mechanical ventilation, fluid movement, cooling as well as other modalities such as lifts and escalators.
- Power conversion, to drive electronic devices such as computers, audio visual equipment, etc.
Electrical consumption is most often measured and compared by reference to the term Kilowatt hour. In its most basic form, this is the amount of energy used by a resistive load of 1000 watts (1kW) running for 1 hour. This quantity of energy can be equated to, say, running a 1kW electric heater continuously for 1 hour, and the amount of energy used by this would be 1kWh or ‘1 unit’ of electricity.
Larger consumers of electrical energy will be billed based on a more complex sets of conditions – taking into account the power factor of the connected load, maximum demand at any given time, time of day, season, as well as system use charges and other overheads borne by the supplier and distributor.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles about electricity.
- Changing lives with the Practical Participation Programme
- Consumer electronics.
- Consumer units.
- ECA articles.
- Electric lock.
- Electric motor.
- Electrical appliance.
- Electrical component.
- Electrical energy.
- Electrical equipment.
- Electrical installation.
- Electrical power.
- Electrical safety.
- Electricity bill.
- Electricity supply.
- Glossary of electrical terms.
- The Future of Electricity in Domestic Buildings.
- The future of UK power generation
Featured articles and news
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.