An electrician is a trades person who specialises in installing and maintaining the electrical systems in buildings and infrastructure. They may sometimes specialise in the installation of new electrical components, wiring systems, and other equipment, or they may focus on maintenance and upgrading equipment.
Electricians can be loosely categorised as:
- Residential: Installing and maintaining electrical systems in residential buildings.
- Inside: Installing and maintaining electrical systems inside larger buildings.
- Outside: Installing and maintaining external electrical systems such as telegraph poles, pylons, and so on.
- Telecommunications: Focusing on telecommunications systems.
Some of the general roles and responsibilities of an electrician might include:
- Reading drawings to determine where electrical components and systems are required.
- Planning the layout and installation of electrical components.
- Installing electrical components.
- Installing telecommunications, security and alarm systems, and so on.
- Installing and maintaining circuit breakers, fuses, transformers, and so on.
- Ensuring electrical work meets required standards and complies with regulations.
- Diagnosing, locating and rectifying faults.
Electricians must comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations which cover all electrical installations, and Part P of the Building Regulations, which governs electrical installations in dwellings.
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
- 2021 Building Engineering Business Survey.
- Articles about electricity.
- Approved Document P.
- BS 7671.
- Building services.
- Consumer electronics.
- Electrical appliance.
- Electrical component.
- Electrical consumption.
- Electrical contractor.
- Electrical control systems.
- Electrical drawing.
- Electrical energy.
- Electrical engineer.
- Electrical installation.
- Electrical power.
- Electrical safety.
- Electrical system.
- Electrical test equipment for use on low voltage electrical systems GS38.
- Electrical wiring.
- Glossary of electrical terms.
- Industry backs leading fire and security awards.
- Is social media the new way to plug the gender skills gap?
- Leading electrotechnical businesses win top industry awards.
- SELECT Scotland's Electrical Trade Association.
- TESP calls for industry mentors.
- The Future of Electricity in Domestic Buildings.