- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Aug 2019
An electrician is a trades person who specialises in installing and maintaining the electrical systems in buildings and infrastructure. They may sometimes specialise in the installation of new electrical components, wiring systems, and other equipment, or they may focus on maintenance and upgrading equipment.
Electricians can be loosely categorised as:
- Residential: Installing and maintaining electrical systems in residential buildings.
- Inside: Installing and maintaining electrical systems inside larger buildings.
- Outside: Installing and maintaining external electrical systems such as telegraph poles, pylons, and so on.
- Telecommunications: Focusing on telecommunications systems.
Some of the general roles and responsibilities of an electrician might include:
- Reading drawings to determine where electrical components and systems are required.
- Planning the layout and installation of electrical components.
- Installing electrical components.
- Installing telecommunications, security and alarm systems, and so on.
- Installing and maintaining circuit breakers, fuses, transformers, and so on.
- Ensuring electrical work meets required standards and complies with regulations.
- Diagnosing, locating and rectifying faults.
Electricians must comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations which cover all electrical installations, and Part P of the Building Regulations, which governs electrical installations in dwellings.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
- Articles about electricity.
- Approved Document P.
- BS 7671.
- Building services.
- Consumer electronics.
- Electrical appliance.
- Electrical component.
- Electrical consumption.
- Electrical control systems.
- Electrical drawing.
- Electrical energy.
- Electrical engineer.
- Electrical installation.
- Electrical power.
- Electrical safety.
- Electrical system.
- Electrical wiring.
- Glossary of electrical terms.
- Industry backs leading fire and security awards
- The Future of Electricity in Domestic Buildings.
Featured articles and news
Our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
A quality perspective.
If buildings were people, they would be just starting to walk on two legs.
Air filtration and clean air standards.
The Dukes of Normandy and the second world war.
Conserving structures in historic designed landscapes.
Online platform to showcase acoustic solutions.
The drivers of value and how it is measured.
Do you know your Ionic from your Doric?
Construction output has been stronger than anticipated.
But blame is directed at the construction industry.