- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Aug 2018
An electrician is a trades person who specialises in installing and maintaining the electrical systems in buildings and infrastructure. They may sometimes specialise in the installation of new electrical components, wiring systems, and other equipment, or they may focus on maintenance and upgrading equipment.
Electricians can be loosely categorised as:
- Residential: Installing and maintaining electrical systems in residential buildings.
- Inside: Installing and maintaining electrical systems inside larger buildings.
- Outside: Installing and maintaining external electrical systems such as telegraph poles, pylons, and so on.
- Telecommunications: Focusing on telecommunications systems.
Some of the general roles and responsibilities of an electrician might include:
- Reading drawings to determine where electrical components and systems are required.
- Planning the layout and installation of electrical components.
- Installing electrical components.
- Installing telecommunications, security and alarm systems, and so on.
- Installing and maintaining circuit breakers, fuses, transformers, and so on.
- Ensuring electrical work meets required standards and complies with regulations.
- Diagnosing, locating and rectifying faults.
Electricians must comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations which cover all electrical installations, and Part P of the Building Regulations, which governs electrical installations in dwellings.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.
Location shortlist for controversial new footbridge revealed.
Under the Party Wall Act a property owner has the legal right to do works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.
BSRIA examine the 'unpredictable' 2018 global air conditioning market.
ICE publish new report calling for new sector-wide body to help avert structural failures.
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.