An electrician is a trades person who specialises in installing and maintaining the electrical systems in buildings and infrastructure. They may sometimes specialise in the installation of new electrical components, wiring systems, and other equipment, or they may focus on maintenance and upgrading equipment.
Electricians can be loosely categorised as:
- Residential: Installing and maintaining electrical systems in residential buildings.
- Inside: Installing and maintaining electrical systems inside larger buildings.
- Outside: Installing and maintaining external electrical systems such as telegraph poles, pylons, and so on.
- Telecommunications: Focusing on telecommunications systems.
Some of the general roles and responsibilities of an electrician might include:
- Reading drawings to determine where electrical components and systems are required.
- Planning the layout and installation of electrical components.
- Installing electrical components.
- Installing telecommunications, security and alarm systems, and so on.
- Installing and maintaining circuit breakers, fuses, transformers, and so on.
- Ensuring electrical work meets required standards and complies with regulations.
- Diagnosing, locating and rectifying faults.
Electricians must comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations which cover all electrical installations, and Part P of the Building Regulations, which governs electrical installations in dwellings.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
- Articles about electricity.
- Approved Document P.
- BS 7671.
- Building services.
- Consumer electronics.
- Electrical appliance.
- Electrical component.
- Electrical consumption.
- Electrical control systems.
- Electrical drawing.
- Electrical energy.
- Electrical engineer.
- Electrical installation.
- Electrical power.
- Electrical safety.
- Electrical system.
- Electrical wiring.
- Glossary of electrical terms.
- Industry backs leading fire and security awards.
- Is social media the new way to plug the gender skills gap?
- SELECT Scotland's Electrical Trade Association.
- TESP calls for industry mentors.
- The Future of Electricity in Domestic Buildings.
Diversity, social value and skills
 Are you looking for..?
- Work Opportunities (from work experience to jobs)
- Activities & Events
- Ask a Person
- Search Organisations (careers support specific to diverse groups)
 Join in
Have you got useful material to share?
If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then help people to find it by adding details to this People microsite and using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.
- Finding it tricky? Contact us for assistance.