- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Nov 2020
 Electrical installation as a verb
- Preparation work – such as cutting of holes, provision of fixings and supports.
- Physical installation of electrical wiring systems onto and within the building structure.
- Testing or wiring systems (usually for insulation resistance and to check for any damage).
- Installation of electrical equipment and its connection.
- Testing of electrical wiring and equipment – normally for compliance with BS 7671 (IET Wiring Regulations) Part 6 requirements.
- Production and issue of test certification and other handover documentation such as operation and maintenance details.
- Making good of finishes, sealing of holes and penetrations and particularly the provision of passive fire stopping in relation to this.
Stages 1 and 2 are often referred to in the trade as first fix activities, and usually precede the work of other trades such as plaster boarding, plastering, drylining, etc.
Stages 3 to 7 are then referred to as second fix activities and follow the work of other trades - often when cables have been concealed within the fabric of a building.
Note - The complete act of installation as defined above will often fall under different contracted parties. It is vital to establish clear boundaries and contract responsibilities before work is undertaken, particularly in areas such as building works, making good and fire stopping.
 Electrical installation as a noun
Electrical installation as a noun is defined in BS 7671 as: ‘An assembly of associated electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil specific purposes.’
Note also that BS 7671 defines ‘Electrical equipment’ as: ‘Any item for such purposes as generation, conversion, transmission, distribution or utilisation of electrical energy, such as machines, transformers, apparatus, measuring instruments, protective devices, wiring systems, accessories, appliances and luminaires.
As such, the electrical installation within a building would be the collective noun used to describe all of the aforementioned items.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
- Articles about electricity.
- BS 7671.
- Changing lives with the Practical Participation Programme
- Consumer electronics.
- Consumer units.
- Data cables and the CPR.
- ECA articles.
- Electrical appliance.
- Electrical component.
- Electrical consumption.
- Electrical energy.
- Electrical equipment.
- Electrical installation.
- Electrical power.
- Electrical safety.
- Electrical system.
- Electrical wiring
- Electricity supply.
- Glossary of electrical terms.
- Industry backs leading fire and security awards.
- Modular housing and electrical circuitry.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA explores US share of 2020 VRF market.
New fire safety requirement comes into force.
Different types of bridges are meant to move.
A logical approach to handling the internal voice of self doubt.
First fashionable in the US, decorative metal has become globally desirable.
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.