- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Jun 2021
Electrical drawings, sometimes referred to as wiring diagrams, are a type of technical drawing that provide visual representation describing electrical systems or circuits. They are used to explain the design to electricians or other workers who will use them to help install or repair electrical systems.
A set of electrical drawings on a project might include:
- A site plan which shows the location of the building and any external wiring.
- Floor plans which show the positions of electrical systems on each floor.
- Wiring diagrams which show the physical connections and layout of electrical circuits.
- Schedules and other information.
Electrical drawings for buildings tend to include the following details:
- How the electrical wires and other parts of the system are interconnected and switched.
- Where fixtures and other components connect to the system.
- Incoming power lines and their voltage, size, capacity and rating.
- Power transformers and their winding connection and means of grounding.
- The main switches, fused switches and tie breakers.
- Equipment such as batteries, air conditioning, solar panels, generators, and so on, including their voltage and size.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Component drawing.
- DC electricity networks.
- Detail drawing.
- Electrical appliance.
- Electrical control systems.
- Electrical engineer.
- Floor plan.
- Plumbing drawing.
- Protected circuit.
- Ring circuit.
- Section drawing.
- Shop drawings.
- Technical drawing.
- Types of drawings.
Featured articles and news
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.
The historian spent much of his life compiling architectural resources.
How technology can expose efficiency levels in existing buildings.