- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Aug 2018
Electrical drawings, sometimes referred to as wiring diagrams, are a type of technical drawing that provide visual representation describing electrical systems or circuits. They are used to explain the design to electricians or other workers who will use them to help install or repair electrical systems.
A set of electrical drawings on a project might include:
- A site plan which shows the location of the building and any external wiring.
- Floor plans which show the positions of electrical systems on each floor.
- Wiring diagrams which show the physical connections and layout of electrical circuits.
- Schedules and other information.
- How the electrical wires and other parts of the system are interconnected and switched.
- Where fixtures and other components connect to the system.
- Incoming power lines and their voltage, size, capacity and rating.
- Power transformers and their winding connection and means of grounding.
- The main switches, fused switches and tie breakers.
- Equipment such as batteries, air conditioning, solar panels, generators, and so on, including their voltage and size.
They typically feature complex symbols and annotation to represent and explain components of the system.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Only 9% of construction workers are 24 or younger.
Blighting local areas, preventing investment and and encouraging anti-social behaviour.
Sharing knowledge about the conservation of the built and historic environment.
CIOB launches a call to improve quality in the built environment.
Vastint gets permission for a 6.6 hectare site to support the expansion of Leeds’ city core.
One of the Isle of Man’s best 1960s buildings.
Using renewable energy in developing countries - QSAND and Loughborough University Research collaboration.
From frost damage to sulphate attack, common causes of defects in brickwork.
Precautions to take when making advance payments.
Helping communities recover from disasters and protecting them before they occur.
Instrumentation for critical healthcare environments.