- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Aug 2018
Electrical drawings, sometimes referred to as wiring diagrams, are a type of technical drawing that provide visual representation describing electrical systems or circuits. They are used to explain the design to electricians or other workers who will use them to help install or repair electrical systems.
A set of electrical drawings on a project might include:
- A site plan which shows the location of the building and any external wiring.
- Floor plans which show the positions of electrical systems on each floor.
- Wiring diagrams which show the physical connections and layout of electrical circuits.
- Schedules and other information.
- How the electrical wires and other parts of the system are interconnected and switched.
- Where fixtures and other components connect to the system.
- Incoming power lines and their voltage, size, capacity and rating.
- Power transformers and their winding connection and means of grounding.
- The main switches, fused switches and tie breakers.
- Equipment such as batteries, air conditioning, solar panels, generators, and so on, including their voltage and size.
They typically feature complex symbols and annotation to represent and explain components of the system.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.
Location shortlist for controversial new footbridge revealed.
Under the Party Wall Act a property owner has the legal right to do works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.
BSRIA examine the 'unpredictable' 2018 global air conditioning market.
ICE publish new report calling for new sector-wide body to help avert structural failures.
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.