- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Aug 2018
Electrical drawings, sometimes referred to as wiring diagrams, are a type of technical drawing that provide visual representation describing electrical systems or circuits. They are used to explain the design to electricians or other workers who will use them to help install or repair electrical systems.
A set of electrical drawings on a project might include:
- A site plan which shows the location of the building and any external wiring.
- Floor plans which show the positions of electrical systems on each floor.
- Wiring diagrams which show the physical connections and layout of electrical circuits.
- Schedules and other information.
- How the electrical wires and other parts of the system are interconnected and switched.
- Where fixtures and other components connect to the system.
- Incoming power lines and their voltage, size, capacity and rating.
- Power transformers and their winding connection and means of grounding.
- The main switches, fused switches and tie breakers.
- Equipment such as batteries, air conditioning, solar panels, generators, and so on, including their voltage and size.
They typically feature complex symbols and annotation to represent and explain components of the system.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.