- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jan 2021
The term ‘lighting’ refers to equipment, the primary purpose of which, is to produce light. This is typically some form of lamp, but lighting can also refer to the use of natural light to provide illumination.
Light is the electromagnetic radiation that exists within a certain portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. In terms of 'visible light', i.e. that which enables the sense of sight, it is the part of the spectrum that can be detected and seen by the eye.
The level of light on a surface is described as ‘Illuminance’ and is measured in lux (lx), where one lux is equal to one lumen per square metre (lm/m²) and a lumen is the SI unit (International System) of luminous flux, describing the quantity of light emitted by a lamp or received at a surface.
In relation to external lighting, Urban Design Guidelines for Victoria, published by The State of Victoria Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning in 2017 suggests that: ‘Lighting performs a number of functions, from supporting way-finding, orientation and safe movement at night to providing a decorative effect for building facades, landmarks and paths. Lighting systems can be large- scale and utilitarian, or small and ornamental. They may use overhead lamps, bollards, up-lights, bulkhead or veranda lighting, feature and facade illumination. Shop display lighting can also contribute to overall public realm lighting levels. Lighting is critical to creating a public realm that is safe and inviting for users.’
Articles on Designing Buildings Wiki about lighting include:
- Adequate lighting.
- Architectural LED market.
- Aspects of daylighting design covered by EN 17037.
- Ballast or control gear.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting.
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control.
- Colour appearance.
- Colour Rendering Index CRI.
- Commercial lighting.
- CIBSE Case Study Hepworth Gallery Lighting.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylit space.
- Designing daylight solutions for commercial buildings.
- Dichroic reflector.
- Discharge lamp.
- Emergency lighting.
- EN 17037 Daylight in buildings.
- Extra-low voltage lamps.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Human-centric lighting.
- Lamp efficacy.
- Light fitting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Light spill.
- Light well.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting control.
- Lighting designer.
- Lighting energy numeric indicator LENI.
- Lighting in commercial buildings.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Lighting for circadian rhythms.
- Luminaire efficacy.
- Luminous flux.
- Natural light.
- People-friendly lighting controls.
- Power factor.
- Rights to light.
- Separate zoning control.
- Smart lighting market to 2020.
- Smart office lighting.
- Space classifications for lighting controls.
- Specialist process lighting.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
- The impact of lighting in retail design.
- Types of lamp.
- Types of lighting.
- Types of building EN 17037 applies to.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
- Visible light.
Featured articles and news
It shouldn't be so difficult to find PPE that fits properly.
Pivoting infrastructure technology stands up to the test of time.
TASC/CIOB study looks at post-pandemic struggles and trends.
The Government announces recalibrated goals.
ECA proposes strategies for the present and the future.
Paul Morrell to lead independent review of the construction products testing regime.
Standard will help employers foster wellbeing and manage psychosocial risks.
Global fire standards for safety of people and property.
An introduction to the 5 core principles of lean.
Can the profession use its skills to save the world from climate change?
How faulty science resulted in sanitation reform.
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Click the button to subscribe.