The term ‘lighting’ refers to equipment the primary purpose of which is to produce light. This is typically some form of lamp. However, lighting can also refer to the use of natural light to provide illumination.
The level of light on a surface is described as ‘Illuminance’ and is measured in lux (lx), where one lux is equal to one lumen per square metre (lm/m²) and a lumen is the SI unit (International System) of luminous flux, describing the quantity of light emitted by a lamp or received at a surface.
Articles on Designing Buildings Wiki about lighting include:
- Architectural LED market.
- Ballast or control gear.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- Colour appearance.
- Commercial lighting.
- CIBSE Case Study Hepworth Gallery Lighting.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylit space.
- Dichroic reflector.
- Discharge lamp.
- Emergency lighting.
- Extra-low voltage lamps.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Lamp efficacy.
- Light fitting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting control.
- Lighting designer.
- Lighting energy numeric indicator LENI.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Luminaire efficacy.
- Luminous flux.
- Power factor.
- Rights to light.
- Smart lighting market to 2020.
- Smart office lighting.
- Space classifications for lighting controls.
- Specialist process lighting.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
- The impact of lighting in retail design.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
Take a look back at our top 5 interviews of 2017.
UandI announce a new joint venture to deliver a new Designer Outlet shopping destination in Cannock.
"A wilful misuse of public funds" - MPs committee calls for legal action against HS2 Ltd. for unauthorised redundancy payouts.
Do you know the difference between these key legal terms?
The government has issued advice for building owners about external wall systems that do not incorporate ACM cladding.
Choosing the right engineering path is a 'daunting process' - BSRIA launch a new publication Inspiring Tomorrow's Engineers.
Memorial service held marking six months since the tragedy, as government faces criticism over rehousing progress.
A case study of Streamline House, the winner of the 2016 Alan King Award for Excellence in Architectural Technology.
At their annual conference, Constructing Excellence call for a radical digital transformation in construction.
Do you know your bulldozer from your roller? Find out about the different types of construction plant here.
Watch this video of construction CEOs explaining what they expect the role of humans in the future of construction will be.
Work is underway on Mjøstårnet in Norway, which could become the world's tallest timber building.