- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Oct 2018
The term ‘lighting’ refers to equipment, the primary purpose of which, is to produce light. This is typically some form of lamp. However, lighting can also refer to the use of natural light to provide illumination.
Light can be defined as being the electromagnetic radiation that exists within a certain portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. In terms of 'visible light', i.e. that which enables the sense of sight, it is the part of the spectrum that can be detected and seen by the eye.
The level of light on a surface is described as ‘Illuminance’ and is measured in lux (lx), where one lux is equal to one lumen per square metre (lm/m²) and a lumen is the SI unit (International System) of luminous flux, describing the quantity of light emitted by a lamp or received at a surface.
Articles on Designing Buildings Wiki about lighting include:
- Architectural LED market.
- Ballast or control gear.
- BRE Expert Collection 6 Daylight and shading.
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting.
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control.
- Colour appearance.
- Commercial lighting.
- CIBSE Case Study Hepworth Gallery Lighting.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- Daylit space.
- Dichroic reflector.
- Discharge lamp.
- Emergency lighting.
- Extra-low voltage lamps.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Lamp efficacy.
- Light fitting.
- Light obstruction notice.
- Light pollution.
- Light well.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting control.
- Lighting designer.
- Lighting energy numeric indicator LENI.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Luminaire efficacy.
- Luminous flux.
- People-friendly lighting controls.
- Power factor.
- Rights to light.
- Smart lighting market to 2020.
- Smart office lighting.
- Space classifications for lighting controls.
- Specialist process lighting.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
- The impact of lighting in retail design.
- Types of lamp.
- Types of lighting.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
- Visible light.
Featured articles and news
Building acoustics is the science of controlling noise in buildings. Read our introductory article here.
ICE President Robert Mair delivers inspiring message to engineers at opening ceremony.
A form of procurement where the contractor provides a single point of contact for a supply chain.
A month after the devastating fire, emergency reconstruction works are underway.
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.