- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 16 Oct 2019
In physics, lux (symbol lx) is a standard unit used as a measure light intensity (illuminance, or illumination). It is the intensity with which a surface is illuminated and is part of the SI system of measurement.
- A bicycle lamp may produce 10 lm
- A 100W incandescent light bulb 1,700 lm
- A 150W tungsten spot lamp 2,000 lm
- A 140W sodium street lamp 13,000 lm
The illumination of a surface S that is 1m x 1m will be 1 lux (or 1 metre-candle) when a lamp of 1 candela (see below for definition) is placed one metre away from it. In other words, 1 lux of light intensity is spread over the 1m2 surface of S which will be equal to 1 lm/m2).
A light source producing 1,000 lm that is 1m away from a surface of area 1m2 produces an illuminance on the surface of 1,000 lux. When the same light source is applied to an area of 10m2, the illuminance level is one tenth of the original, or 100 lm. Lighting larger areas requires greater intensity light sources…or more bulbs.
- A torch bulb (not LED) = 1 candela (emits one lumen of light flux)
- A 60W tungsten bulb = 50 candela
- A single fluorescent tube = 400 candela
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Adequate lighting.
- Architectural LED market.
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Lamp efficacy.
- Light fitting.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Luminaire efficacy.
- Luminous flux.
- Natural light.
- Power factor.
- Types of lamp.
- Types of lighting.
- Visible light.
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
How to write them and what they should include.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?