- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 21 Jan 2021
In physics, lux (symbol lx) is a standard unit used as a measure light intensity (illuminance, or illumination). It is the intensity with which a surface is illuminated and is part of the SI system of measurement.
- A bicycle lamp may produce 10 lm
- A 100W incandescent light bulb 1,700 lm
- A 150W tungsten spot lamp 2,000 lm
- A 140W sodium street lamp 13,000 lm
The illumination of a surface S that is 1m x 1m will be 1 lux (or 1 metre-candle) when a lamp of 1 candela (see below for definition) is placed one metre away from it. In other words, 1 lux of light intensity is spread over the 1m2 surface of S which will be equal to 1 lm/m2).
A light source producing 1,000 lm that is 1m away from a surface of area 1m2 produces an illuminance on the surface of 1,000 lux. When the same light source is applied to an area of 10m2, the illuminance level is one tenth of the original, or 100 lm. Lighting larger areas requires greater intensity light sources…or more bulbs.
- A torch bulb (not LED) = 1 candela (emits one lumen of light flux)
- A 60W tungsten bulb = 50 candela
- A single fluorescent tube = 400 candela
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Adequate lighting.
- Architectural LED market.
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting.
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control.
- Daylight factor.
- Daylight lighting systems.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Lamp efficacy.
- Light fitting.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Luminaire efficacy.
- Luminous flux.
- Natural light.
- Power factor.
- Types of lamp.
- Types of lighting.
- Visible light.
Featured articles and news
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.