- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Jul 2018
The impact of lighting in retail design
In the world of retail with ever more savvy shoppers and image-conscious consumers, first impressions are everything. From the signage to window displays, the smell of premises to its cleanliness, most customers will make up their minds about a shop within the first few seconds. And once they’ve been made, first impressions are hard to change, so it is important get it right.
One of the biggest influences on the look and feel of any retail space is lighting. From soft and subtle to bright and bold, the architectural style of lighting will have a big impact on how customers perceive a business whether they realise it or not.
As long as it’s big, bold and beautiful, a statement feature can be made out of anything. A lighting designer will be able to conjure up some wild and wonderful creations from their imagination.
For lighting manufacture, design and fitting that shows customers a shop is 'on trend', creating spaces that they want to spend time in and to make the most of the link between lighting and consumer behaviour, choose a lighting designer with a proven portfolio of professional, on-point projects.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Colour appearance.
- CIBSE Case Study Hepworth Gallery Lighting.
- Dichroic reflector.
- Discharge lamp.
- Extra-low voltage lamps.
- General lighting v task lighting.
- Health and wellbeing impacts of natural and artificial lighting.
- Lamp efficacy.
- Light fitting.
- Lighting and energy efficiency.
- Lighting and health infographic.
- Lighting designer.
- Lighting energy numeric indicator LENI.
- Luminaire efficacy.
- Luminous flux.
- Reducing the embodied impacts of shopfitting equipment.
- Smart lighting market to 2020.
- Smart office lighting.
- Space classifications for lighting controls.
- Specialist process lighting.
- The essential guide to retail lighting.
- Use of lighting to improve health and wellbeing.
Featured articles and news
Dynamo packages data ready for Revit.
How does EVA rate a project's progress?
How can it benefit the built environment?
The benefits of early contractor involvement.
Why it is so important for health and wellbeing.
A highly effective method of managing supply chains.
How it can benefit construction.
Free guide to commissioning for site managers published by NHBC and BSRIA.
Resolving quickly to minimise delay and costs.
Tackling domestic abuse.
Disallowed costs vs. defined costs. Which is which?