ECA apprentice secondment service
On 19 August 2020, a new apprentice secondment service was launched by the engineering services trade association ECA. The service extends ECA’s well-established ‘loan labour scheme’ to allow employers to both loan out apprentices and to hire them on a temporary secondment basis.
The necessity for businesses to loan out apprentices typically occurs for two reasons; where the lender has a temporary shortfall in its workload, or where they have limits in the variety of work they undertake.
Both scenarios can make it more difficult for the lender’s apprentice to complete the standard apprenticeship curriculum in good time. The borrowing business can help to fill the gap and keep the apprentice working and learning. Clear learning objectives and the early involvement of the apprentice’s training provider are also essential.
ECA Director of Employment and Skills Andrew Eldred said: “In these challenging times, some engineering services businesses are facing periods of time when they may struggle to find work for all their apprentices. Other firms are still busy, and are ready and able to help. Given the critical importance of apprentices to the future of the industry, our new apprentice support service will help ensure that temporary opportunities can be found to keep them learning and in employment.”
ECA has also produced guidance and flowcharts for businesses about how to keep apprentices employed and travelling and working safely during the current climate, with more tools and support to follow.
Find out more here.
This article was originally published on the ECA website on 19 August 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Apprenticeships levy.
- BSRIA call for more vocational training.
- BSRIA calls on industry to get involved with National Apprenticeship Week 2019.
- Careers in the electrotechnical industry.
- Cash incentives for employers to hire new apprentices doubled.
- Construction apprentice earnings.
- Construction Industry Training Board CITB.
- ECA 2018 Apprentice of the Year.
- ECA articles.
- EIC apprentice support programme.
- Is social media the new way to plug the gender skills gap?
- National vocational qualification.
- New apprentice levy funding model.
- Payments for recruiting new apprentices.
- Protection for apprenticeships.
Diversity, social value and skills
 Are you looking for..?
- Work Opportunities (from work experience to jobs)
- Activities & Events
- Ask a Person
- Search Organisations (careers support specific to diverse groups)
 Join in
Have you got useful material to share?
If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then help people to find it by adding details to this People microsite and using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.
- Finding it tricky? Contact us for assistance.