- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Feb 2018
When agency is formed, the principal authorises the agent to undertake certain acts for them and on their behalf, and they are bound by the acts of the agent. For example, one type of agency is between an employer (principal) and employee (agent).
Agency is an essential part of commercial and financial transaction as a legal entity such as a business can only function through its agents.
Agency can be created by:
- Express agreement (oral or written).
- The principal’s conduct.
The legal doctrine of estoppel prevents the principal from rejecting or denying the existence of agency where they have previously established it.
In the construction industry, the term 'agent' is often used in relation to:
- Employer's agent - an agent acting on behalf of a client as the contract administrator for design and build contracts.
- Estate agent - acting on behalf of a client for the sale or rental of properties, businesses or land.
- Sub-agents - usually appointed on large construction projects to manage a specific part of the works or a specific package of work.
- Client's agent of client's representative - responsible for managing a project on behalf of a client.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Intricate inlays and beautiful patterns can be created with waterjet cutting.
The phrase ‘time at large’ describes the situation where there is no date for completion, or it has become invalid.
The Maldives is under threat from climate change. Read this report from BRE on their potential involvement in the region.
MHCLG update states there are still 124 private high-rise buildings with unsafe cladding and no remediation plan.
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.