- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Feb 2018
When agency is formed, the principal authorises the agent to undertake certain acts for them and on their behalf, and they are bound by the acts of the agent. For example, one type of agency is between an employer (principal) and employee (agent).
Agency is an essential part of commercial and financial transaction as a legal entity such as a business can only function through its agents.
Agency can be created by:
- Express agreement (oral or written).
- The principal’s conduct.
The legal doctrine of estoppel prevents the principal from rejecting or denying the existence of agency where they have previously established it.
In the construction industry, the term 'agent' is often used in relation to:
- Employer's agent - an agent acting on behalf of a client as the contract administrator for design and build contracts.
- Estate agent - acting on behalf of a client for the sale or rental of properties, businesses or land.
- Sub-agents - usually appointed on large construction projects to manage a specific part of the works or a specific package of work.
- Client's agent of client's representative - responsible for managing a project on behalf of a client.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The types, causes and measurement of damp in buildings.
The new NEC4 contract creates a true procurement alliance arrangement for all stakeholders.
Andrew Strauss talks about performance and team building at the 2018 BSRIA Briefing.
Applications have to be in by the end of the week.
Reflections on the 5th Annual Global Congress of Knowledge Economy, held in Qingdao, China.
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.