- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Feb 2018
Agency is a legal term for a fiduciary relationship created between two parties, in which the agent is obligated to perform a service or supply goods for the ‘principal’.
When agency is formed, the principal authorises the agent to undertake certain acts for them and on their behalf, and they are bound by the acts of the agent. For example, one type of agency is between an employer (principal) and employee (agent).
Agency is an essential part of commercial and financial transaction as a legal entity such as a business can only function through its agents.
Agency can be created by:
- Express agreement (oral or written).
- The principal’s conduct.
The legal doctrine of estoppel prevents the principal from rejecting or denying the existence of agency where they have previously established it.
In the construction industry, the term 'agent' is often used in relation to:
- Employer's agent - an agent acting on behalf of a client as the contract administrator for design and build contracts.
- Estate agent - acting on behalf of a client for the sale or rental of properties, businesses or land.
- Sub-agents - usually appointed on large construction projects to manage a specific part of the works or a specific package of work.
- Client's agent of client's representative - responsible for managing a project on behalf of a client.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.
Dr Nicholas Falk, director of the URBED Trust, explains why metro cities are the future of urbanisation.