- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 May 2021
Engineering services and industry recovery guide
The Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA) has produced an executive summary that highlights the key role of engineering services in the industry recovery ‘Roadmap‘, which was launched in 2020 by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC). The publication is titled, The CLC Roadmap to Recovery: A summary for the engineering services sector.
 Roadmap to Recovery
Engineering services is a major part of the UK construction industry, and some 80% of the value of buildings and infrastructure is realised during its operating life (around 10% of the value is in the design and build stage, and around 10% in the demolition stage).
The CLC 'Roadmap to Recovery' is a three phase strategy for driving the recovery of construction and the repair, maintenance and improvement (RMI) sector – and the wider UK economy - as we seek to emerge from the COVID-19 crisis.
The Roadmap has six strategic objectives:
- Increased investment in skills and training.
- Reducing carbon emissions.
- Improving society (notably through safer buildings).
- A more collaborative supply chain.
- Greater productivity.
- A culture of embracing technology and innovation.
Engineering services will be fundamentally important to achieving all these industry objectives.
According to ECA CEO Steve Bratt and a member of the CLC coronavirus taskforce: "The CLC recovery plan sets the framework for moving the construction industry from crisis to positive transformation, and engineering services will be fundamentally important to achieving this strategic goal".
This article originally appeared on the ECA website under the title, "New ECA guide to Engineering Services and industry Recovery." It was published on 8 July 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by the Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA)
- Construction Leadership Council CLC.
- ECA welcomes the Value Toolkit for the construction industry.
- Engineer for construction.
- Get ready for green jobs and upgrade projects.
- Green building.
- National Retrofit Strategy NRS.
- Net zero carbon 2050.
- New deal for infrastructure 2020.
- Plan proposes to reinvent construction industry.
- Skills shortage.
- Supply chains in construction.
- The Real Face of Construction 2020.
Featured articles and news
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.
The Great Transformation 1860–1920. Book review.
Including the devolved governments, CIOB, ECA, APM and IHBC.
AT awards small to medium size project category winner.
Formal and informal adaptive re-use or new use of buildings.
Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again).