- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 May 2021
Engineering services and industry recovery guide
The Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA) has produced an executive summary that highlights the key role of engineering services in the industry recovery ‘Roadmap‘, which was launched in 2020 by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC). The publication is titled, The CLC Roadmap to Recovery: A summary for the engineering services sector.
 Roadmap to Recovery
Engineering services is a major part of the UK construction industry, and some 80% of the value of buildings and infrastructure is realised during its operating life (around 10% of the value is in the design and build stage, and around 10% in the demolition stage).
The CLC 'Roadmap to Recovery' is a three phase strategy for driving the recovery of construction and the repair, maintenance and improvement (RMI) sector – and the wider UK economy - as we seek to emerge from the COVID-19 crisis.
The Roadmap has six strategic objectives:
- Increased investment in skills and training.
- Reducing carbon emissions.
- Improving society (notably through safer buildings).
- A more collaborative supply chain.
- Greater productivity.
- A culture of embracing technology and innovation.
Engineering services will be fundamentally important to achieving all these industry objectives.
According to ECA CEO Steve Bratt and a member of the CLC coronavirus taskforce: "The CLC recovery plan sets the framework for moving the construction industry from crisis to positive transformation, and engineering services will be fundamentally important to achieving this strategic goal".
This article originally appeared on the ECA website under the title, "New ECA guide to Engineering Services and industry Recovery." It was published on 8 July 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by the Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA)
- Construction Leadership Council CLC.
- ECA welcomes the Value Toolkit for the construction industry.
- Engineer for construction.
- Get ready for green jobs and upgrade projects.
- Green building.
- National Retrofit Strategy NRS.
- Net zero carbon 2050.
- New deal for infrastructure 2020.
- Plan proposes to reinvent construction industry.
- Skills shortage.
- Supply chains in construction.
- The Real Face of Construction 2020.
Featured articles and news
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Our director Gregor Harvie hosts 4 webinars at the IHBC marketplace on Friday.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.
IHBC has announced winners of the 2020 honours.
Cement and concrete industry introduces measures to go beyond net zero.
UKGBC has introduced a resource to help with sustainability challenges.
Is it time to embrace EVs at last?
Plaster, glue and dye produce a highly decorative effect.