- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 May 2021
Engineering services and industry recovery guide
The Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA) has produced an executive summary that highlights the key role of engineering services in the industry recovery ‘Roadmap‘, which was launched in 2020 by the Construction Leadership Council (CLC). The publication is titled, The CLC Roadmap to Recovery: A summary for the engineering services sector.
 Roadmap to Recovery
Engineering services is a major part of the UK construction industry, and some 80% of the value of buildings and infrastructure is realised during its operating life (around 10% of the value is in the design and build stage, and around 10% in the demolition stage).
The CLC 'Roadmap to Recovery' is a three phase strategy for driving the recovery of construction and the repair, maintenance and improvement (RMI) sector – and the wider UK economy - as we seek to emerge from the COVID-19 crisis.
The Roadmap has six strategic objectives:
- Increased investment in skills and training.
- Reducing carbon emissions.
- Improving society (notably through safer buildings).
- A more collaborative supply chain.
- Greater productivity.
- A culture of embracing technology and innovation.
Engineering services will be fundamentally important to achieving all these industry objectives.
According to ECA CEO Steve Bratt and a member of the CLC coronavirus taskforce: "The CLC recovery plan sets the framework for moving the construction industry from crisis to positive transformation, and engineering services will be fundamentally important to achieving this strategic goal".
This article originally appeared on the ECA website under the title, "New ECA guide to Engineering Services and industry Recovery." It was published on 8 July 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles by the Electrical Contractors' Association (ECA)
- Construction Leadership Council CLC.
- ECA welcomes the Value Toolkit for the construction industry.
- Engineer for construction.
- Get ready for green jobs and upgrade projects.
- Green building.
- National Retrofit Strategy NRS.
- Net zero carbon 2050.
- New deal for infrastructure 2020.
- Plan proposes to reinvent construction industry.
- Skills shortage.
- Supply chains in construction.
- The Real Face of Construction 2020.
Featured articles and news
From the Commonwealth Association of Architects.
For the Levelling Up, Housing & Communities Committee.
BSRIA's Technical Director reflects on recent weather patterns.
A national valuation to fund old-age pensions.
The world’s largest Commonwealth memorial to the missing.
Long after the end of the defects liability period.
Occupant satisfaction and wellbeing in buildings.
From the simple to the complex.
And the UK Government guidelines.
Commitment agreed to by major built environment bodies.
Electrical skills, low carbon, high-tech and the building services revolution.
Ultra-deep drilling with millimeter-wave beam technology.
Looking at the built environment from space.
BSI standards 8671, 8672 and 8673.
Bringing life to burial grounds.
From failed modernism to twenty-minute neighbourhoods.
The gates process and change control.
Why people behave as they do. APM book.