- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 Nov 2023
Bill to tackle lithium-ion batteries proposed
ECA is backing a campaign led by industry charity Electrical Safety First to stop the alarming rise in deaths and injuries resulting from fires and explosions caused by e-scooter and e-bike batteries.
Over 190 people have been injured, and eight lives lost due to this concerning trend. The UK is now facing a disturbing projection of nearly one e-bike or e-scooter fire per day this year, a significant leap from just over one per week in 2020.
ESF's Bill proposes solutions to these challenges, including:
- Clause 1: Safety Assurance - This clause mandates a third-party safety assessment, conducted by a government-approved body, for all e-bikes, e-scooters, and their lithium-ion batteries before they enter the UK market. This process mirrors safety measures in place for other high-risk products like fireworks and heavy machinery.
- Clause 2: Responsible Disposal - This clause requires the Government to make regulations ensuring the safe disposal of lithium batteries once their lifecycle ends.
- Clause 3: Comprehensive Fire Safety - This clause assigns the Government the responsibility of comprehensively addressing fire-related concerns. This involves enhancing safe usage, charging, and storage practices for these devices. It includes setting standards for conversion kits and charging systems, and consideration for a temporary ban on the sale of universal chargers that heighten fire risks.
 Further information
 Express support here
- Battery storage.
- BSRIA definitions.
- Carbon capture and storage.
- Electric vehicles.
- E-bike market projections to 2027.
- Energy harvesting.
- Energy storage - the missing piece?
- Energy storage in buildings - a technology overview BG73 2018.
- Flow battery.
- Fuel cell.
- Lithium-ion battery.
- Lithium-Ion Battery Market Size to 2027.
- Pumped hydro.
- Types of materials.
- Types of battery.
Featured articles and news
ECA skills recharge at the House of Commons
Electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.