Last edited 17 Nov 2019

Wall types

Rubblewall.jpg Secant pile wall.jpg
Green wall.JPG Brick wall.jpg
Curtain-wall-system.jpg Timberwall.jpg


[edit] Wall definition

Approved document B, Fire Safety, Volume 1 Dwelling houses, suggests that for the purpose of the performance of wall linings, a wall includes:

  • The surface of glazing (except glazing in doors).
  • Any part of a ceiling which slopes at an angle of more than 70º to the horizontal.

But a wall does not include:

However, Approved document C, Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture, suggests that a wall is:

'Any opaque part of the external envelope of a building that is at an angle of 70° or more to the horizontal.'

For more information, see What are walls made of?

[edit] Buttressing wall

A wall designed and constructed to afford lateral support to another wall perpendicular to it, support being provided from the base to the top of the wall.

[edit] Cavity wall

A wall constructed from two skins of masonry, the outer skin of which can be brickwork or blockwork and the inner skin of which is generally of blockwork, separated by a cavity to prevent the penetration of moisture and to allow for the installation of thermal insulation.

[edit] Compartment wall

A wall constructed to create a compartment, forming a barrier to the spread of smoke, heat and toxic gases.

[edit] Curtain wall

A non-structural cladding system for the external walls of buildings.

See Curtain wall for more information.

[edit] Dwarf wall

A dwarf wall is the term used to refer to a low wall that is often used as a garden wall, fence or as the base of a conservatory or porch structure. Generally, it can be applied to any wall that is less than one-storey in height, but typically they are less than a metre tall.

For more information, see Dwarf wall.

[edit] External wall

A wall forming the external enclosure of a building, including part of a roof pitched at an angle of more than 70° to the horizontal, if that part of the roof adjoins a space within the building to which persons have access (but not access only for repair or maintenance).

For more information see: External wall.

[edit] Green wall

A wall that is planted to help create new habitats and improve air quality and wellbeing.

See Green walls for more information.

[edit] Internal load-bearing wall

A wall providing separation between the internal spaces of a building where the wall is also required to transfer loads from other parts of the structure to the foundations.

See Load-bearing wall for more information.

[edit] Parapet wall

The uppermost reaches of a wall that extends above the roof level and provides a degree of protection to roof, gutters, balconies and walkways.

See: Parapet for more information.

[edit] Partition wall

A non-load bearing wall that separates the internal spaces of a building.

See Partition wall for more information.

[edit] Party wall

A wall that stands on the lands of 2 or more owners or a wall that is on one owner's land but is used by 2 or more owners to separate their buildings.

See Party wall for more information.

[edit] Pile wall

A wall formed by adjacent or interlocking piles, typically found below ground where it is necessary to withhold water or soil.

See for example: Secant pile wall.

[edit] Rainscreen

A wall comprising an outer skin of panels and an airtight insulated backing wall separated by a ventilated cavity. Some water may penetrate into the cavity but the rainscreen is intended to provide protection from direct rain.

See Rainscreen for more information.

[edit] Separating wall

A wall or part of a wall which is common to adjoining buildings.

[edit] Solid wall

A wall constructed of one skin of masonry which can consist of brick or blockwork and does not include a cavity between the interior and exterior.

[edit] Supported wall

A wall to which lateral support is afforded by a combination of buttressing walls, piers or chimneys acting in conjunction with floor(s) or roof.

[edit] Trombe wall

A construction that uses a combination of thermal mass and glazing to collect and store solar radiation so that it can be used to heat buildings.

See Trombe wall for more information.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki