- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Jan 2018
Quoins are large rectangular blocks of masonry or brick that are built into the corners of a wall. They can be used as a load-bearing feature to provide strength and weather protection, but also for aesthetic purposes to add detail and accentuate the outside corners of a building.
It is usual for quoins to be arranged in a toothed form, with alternate quoins projecting and receding from the corner. Where quoins are used purely for decorative reasons, a wide range of materials can be used such as timber, cement render, and stucco. They are often coloured to compliment the brickwork or render of the building.
There are a number of different types of quoin:
- Return quoin: The standard type, is built into wall corners with one long side over one short side.
- Reveal quoin: Built into the wall as a standard block, commonly used for door and window reveals.
- Chamfered quoin: This quoin has a chamfered edge on the top, bottom and outside edges for aesthetic purposes. This can also be incorporated on reveal, return or cladding-type quoins.
- Cladding quoin: This quoin is fixed onto the wall using a two-part resin after the corner has been finished. It is usually 50 mm thick. If the wall is to be rendered, the quoins are fixed first and then the render brought up to the chamfer.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki:
Featured articles and news
New policy report published looking at tackling fuel poverty in the private rented sector.
RSHP may have to reconsider competition-winning designs for new Taiwan airport terminal.
If the one of the parties to a contract fails to perform as required, this may constitute a breach of contract.
Research engineer Chris Thompson examines the crucial role of smarter systems in predicting failure.
Government could be failing in its human rights duty over combustible cladding, warns watchdog.
Conservation in the heritage cities of Venice and Liverpool.
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.