- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Feb 2020
Best cinema architecture in the UK
Have we missed out a great example? Let us know in the Comments section below.
Image © Maurita van Droogenbroeck
Built in 1910, the Phoenix was redesigned and rebuilt in an Art Deco style in 1937. The original Edwardian barrel vault ceiling was retained, but the auditorium itself was reversed, and decorative panels added along the walls.
In 1999, the cinema was given Grade-II listed status, and to celebrate its centenary, in 2010, it underwent renovation. This included the restoration of the vaulted ceiling and the distinctive neon sign, and the addition of a glazed balcony projected out from the first floor cafe-bar.
This Grade-II listed cinema originally opened in 1911 as the 'Electric Pavilion', situated at the lively centre of Brixton, Windrush Square.
Despite having been damaged by bombs during WW2, and facing demolition in the 1970s, its fortunes have resurged in the last two decades, with significant restoration works, and is now one of the most popular cinemas in South London.
The cinema's popularity grew as the demand for entertainment surged following WW2, however, its fortunes faded as the area of Notting Hill became a place of racial tension and crime. It came to be known as the 'bunghole' as it fell increasingly into disrepair.
Having redeveloped and renamed itself several times without success, it closed permanently in 1993. Local property developers acquired the site in the late-1990s and set about restoring it to its former glory. Today, the Electric Cinema is one of London's most iconic film-viewing locations, distinctive for its deep red leather armchairs and accompanying stool and lamp.
 Odeon – Harrogate
It was designed by architect Cecil Clavering in the 'Streamlined Moderne' style, comprising a curved entrance canopy, tall slender Art Deco 'fin' tower, biscuit-coloured faience tiles and brick-faced auditorium.
Projecting bands of darker-brown brick break up the top section, with the bands continuing down the tower's face on the southern side. Tall windows extend through both ground- and first-floor, with shorter windows to the second-floor.
 Broadway Cinema – Nottingham
(Image © Ashley Bird)
Having served as cinemas in various incarnations from the 1960s, in 2006, the Broadway was redeveloped and enlarged. Site investigation works had to ascertain whether there were any hidden voids beneath the surface before excavation began for the basement level as the building is founded on sandstone.
An all-glazed 'box' was designed to create a light entrance space at the ground floor, as well as forming balconies at the first and second floors. This was carefully designed to thread around the existing colonnades without adding load to their weak masonry superstructure.
In 2009, the cinema was rated as one of the 'best in the world' by Total Film magazine.
(Image © Pete Holmes)
(Image © Gary Levett)
'Kursaal' was a German term used to refer to an Edwardian-period leisure and entertainment centre, that was adopted by the British in the 1880s. The Worthing Dome is a rare surviving example of one such kursaal.
The building originally opened in 1911 as a rollerskating rink, but later in the same year a cinema opened as well. This was later converted to a dance hall, then a bingo hall, and then returned to being a cinema again in 1999.
 Hippodrome – Bo’ness, Falkirk
It was designed by local architect Matthew Steele and constructed on a corner site. This necessitated the Hippodrome's circular auditorium with wraparound gallery facing a traditional proscenium and small stage. A domed roof and ticket office were both added in 1926 by Steele.
In the mid-1970s it became a bingo hall until it was closed in 1980 and abandoned. Lead by Scottish Historic Buildings Trust, the cinema was renovated and reinstated, opening again in 2008. This included the restoration of the 1926 decorative scheme and original seating.
 Tyneside Cinema – Newcastle-upon-Tyne
(Images ©The Stockport Plaza Trust)
This Art Deco cinema was designed by William Thornley and constructed in 1932 in a project that required the excavation of 10,000 tonnes of sandstone from the site. The building is brick with front faience cladding, with internal structural steelwork.
The Plaza was converted into a bingo hall in 1967. A National Lottery-funded restoration took place in 2009, returning the building to its original 1932 configuration. The entire facade was restored to its original cream ensemble.
This Grade-II listed neo-classical cinema originally opened in 1915, designed by architects Percy C. Adams and George Coles of the architectural firm Adams & Coles. In 1937 it was refurbished in the Art Deco style by F. E. Bromige.
Bromige created a new auditorium within the shell of the 1915 original which is, according to Heritage England, 'highly unusual'. There is a secret door on the Rio's roof through which can be seen the ceiling and upper walls of the original.
The striking Art Deco ceiling curves smoothly down to the screen, which is flanked by golden stylised organ vents. The blue and pink interior was restored in 1997, remaining faithful to Bromige's design. The Rio also features a traditional box office at the main doorway, and quirky leopard print carpet throughout.
Warwick Arts Centre is a multi-purpose venue at the University of Warwick in Coventry. The first phase was built in 1974 and further extended twice in the 1980s. In addition to a cinema, the venue includes a concert hall, two theatres, a music centre, the Mead Art Gallery, conference facilities, restaurants and a bookshop.
 Barn Cinema - Totnes
(Images © Original Image Photography)
Not much is known about its early history, but it is estimated that the Grade-I listed building was built in the late-1500s. The exterior of the barn was reconstructed during the early-1930s, and it was converted into a theatre between 1933-38.
The cinema's exterior is a striking glass design, with two elevated interior walkways that lead into one of the two screens. The glass artwork is structurally integral to the south elevation of the foyer extension. The background to the design comprises two large blue forms loosely based on a 35mm and 70mm film frames.
The building was shortlisted for The Sunday Times/Royal Fine Art Commission Building of the Year Award 1995 and gained a Civic Trust Commendation 1997. Harbour Lights is attributed with having had a leading influence on the design of a new generation of cinemas.
 The Rex Cinema - Berkhamsted
(Images © Tom Joy)
 Broadway - Letchworth
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- An art deco cinema on wartime Orkney.
- Architecture of concert stage designs.
- Assets of community value.
- Best gym architecture in the world.
- Buildings in film.
- Buildings in music.
- Building of the week series.
- Conservation of the historic environment.
- Lillehammer Art Museum and Cinema.
- Live event production.
- Unusual building design of the week.
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
How to write them and what they should include.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.