- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Aug 2022
Approved document C, Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture, suggests that the extent and level of site investigations needs to be tailored to the type of development and the previous use of land.
The approved document suggests that site investigations should consist of four well-defined stages:
- Planning stage: Setting clear objectives for the site investigation, including scope and requirements, which enable it to be planned and carried out efficiently and provide the required information.
- Desk study: Reviewing historical, geological and environmental information about the site.
- Site reconnaissance (a walkover survey): Identifying actual and potential hazards and the design of the main investigation.
- Main investigation and reporting: Including intrusive and non-intrusive sampling and testing to provide soil parameters for design and construction.
Site investigations should include:
- Susceptibility to groundwater levels and flow.
- Underlying geology, and ground and hydro-geological properties.
- Identification of physical hazards.
- Identification of methane and other gases.
- Determining an appropriate design.
- Providing soil parameters for design and construction.
- Where contaminants are found that had not been previously known about.
- In planning applications.
- In relation to waste management and the protection of water quality and resources.
Featured articles and news
ECA skills recharge at the House of Commons
Electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.