The Building Cost Information Service (BCIS), Elemental Standard Form of Cost Analysis Principles, Instructions, Elements and Definitions 4th (NRM) Edition published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in 2012, describes the rules for preparing an elemental cost analysis in standard BCIS format.
According to BCIS, the term 'superstructure' includes:
- Frame: Loadbearing framework. Main floor and roof beams, ties and roof trusses of framed buildings; casing to stanchions and beams for structural or protective purposes.
- Upper floors: Suspended floors over, or in basements, service floors, balconies, sloping floors, walkways and top landings, where part of the floor rather than part of the staircase.
- Roof: Roof structure, roof coverings, roof drainage, rooflights and roof features.
- Stairs and ramps: Construction of ramps, stairs, ladders, etc. connecting floors at different levels.
- External walls: External enclosing walls including walls to basements but excluding walls to basements designed as retaining walls.
- Windows, doors and openings in external walls.
- Internal walls, partitions, balustrades, moveable room dividers, cubicles and the like.
- Doors, hatches and other openings in internal walls and partitions.
Some broader definitions simply consider the superstructure to include all works above ground level, although clearly, this is a fairly ambiguous description.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.