- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 May 2022
The Building Cost Information Service (BCIS), Elemental Standard Form of Cost Analysis Principles, Instructions, Elements and Definitions 4th (NRM) Edition published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in 2012, describes the rules for preparing an elemental cost analysis in standard BCIS format.
According to BCIS, the term 'superstructure' includes:
- Frame: Load-bearing framework. Main floor and roof beams, ties and roof trusses of framed buildings; casing to stanchions and beams for structural or protective purposes.
- Upper floors: Suspended floors over, or in basements, service floors, balconies, sloping floors, walkways and top landings, where part of the floor rather than part of the staircase.
- Roof: Roof structure, roof coverings, roof drainage, rooflights and roof features.
- Stairs and ramps: Construction of ramps, stairs, ladders, etc. connecting floors at different levels.
- External walls: External enclosing walls including walls to basements but excluding walls to basements designed as retaining walls.
- Windows, doors and openings in external walls.
- Internal walls, partitions, balustrades, moveable room dividers, cubicles and the like.
- Doors, hatches and other openings in internal walls and partitions.
Featured articles and news
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?